On Mac M1 Big Sur/Parallels 16 Install Ubuntu 18.04 Server ARM64 failed.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Ross24, May 31, 2021.

1. Ross24

Ross24 Bit poster

Following "Choose Manual" installation instructions from a DVD or image file, Customize settings before installation. Set the CD/DVD to Source "bionic-server-arm64.iso" located in the MAC Downloads folder. Operation Failed. You must enter the host OS administrator's credentials. which is me. Did an Actions Reset which brought me to the grey Parallels ARM Virtual Machine Apple Silicon 16.5.0 Screen. Reset. Continued to Blue GNU GRUB "Install Ubuntu Server" which proceeded through Language and Country settings. Purple Screen: Error Message. Your Installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted . Same outcome. Dead in the water. Also tried ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.oso. Same file doutcome. Is there an issue with those Ubuntu 18.04 image https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/18.04/release/ ?

I did succesfullly install Windows 10 ARM64 and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop VM on this same MAC Silicon machine.

JeffersonN likes this.
  2. JeffersonN

JeffersonN Bit poster

Any progress?
    I'm having the same issue, and I have an open support case for it, but I'm not optimistic because I didn't understand the issue initially.
    I've tried attaching the CD by an emulated LSI SCSI and SAS controller as well, and that doesn't work either.
    I noticed that the AHCI/SAS/SCSI controllers do not appear on the PCI bus in the VM. They show up in the device tree instead. I think that may explain why the drivers are not loading in the guest OS. I'm not sure if there's something that can be done to force them to load.
    I wonder if it would help to slip the 20.04 kernel/modules into an 18.04 installer? I'm not sure how difficult that would be. I really need 18.04, though.

3. mmika

mmika Pro

JeffersonN, as far as I remember, there is no AHCI driver at all. Only IDE and VirtIO drivers are available. That is why it doesn't work.

4. JeffersonN

JeffersonN Bit poster

That could be. It begs the question why doesn't Parallels support VirtIO storage?

5. AndyM12

AndyM12 Bit poster

@JeffersonN did you ever find a workaround for installing 18.04?

6. JeffersonN1

JeffersonN1 Bit poster

Sadly, no

7. RichardM32

RichardM32 Bit poster

Solution:
    Because host → guest USB passthrough works fine, do this:
    * Copy your ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.iso onto a USB stick with 'dd' or your favorite imager
    * Boot with your ubuntu-18.04.5-server-arm64.iso as the 'cdrom'
    * After booting has started, plug in your USB stick and tell parallels to share it with the Linux guest
    * The installer will automatically find the image on the USB stick, mount it, and load the appropriate modules so it can access your Parallels HDD, etc.

Robert48 and AndyM12 like this.
  8. GillesP

GillesP Bit poster

I tried to follow your instructions with the ubuntu-18.04.6-server-arm64.iso image. I can confirm we can go further through the installation but when I'm removing the USB stick at the end of the installation and rebooting, process is asking me again if I want to install Ubuntu. Did I miss something?

9. RichardM32

RichardM32 Bit poster

You also need to disconnect the virtual CD/DVD drive--which also has the Ubuntu install ISO--before you can boot.
    You may need to shut down the VM before doing this; I found my VM did not recognize virtual CD/DVD drive changes until I had the Parallels Tools installed.

10. GillesP

GillesP Bit poster

My issue was related to the disk used for the installation. Indeed, using the USB stick pushes the stick as a default target. Then, it is mandatory to select the correct one (Virtual hard drive provided by the installation) before continuing. Ubuntu was showing a warning message but it I didn't take care about it - I had to!!!
    Now it is working - Thanks for the tips.

11. joshck94

joshck94 Bit poster

I did everything that was listed here. It was able to recognize the USB (I think)? But then when I try to proceed with the installation, I received this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new when it comes to linux so I probably just did something wrong.

[​IMG]

12. AndyM12

AndyM12 Bit poster

these instructions worked for me as well, thank you

13. AbdulbaasitS

AbdulbaasitS Bit poster

Hi, thanks for this.

I am a novice at this and I kind of got confused after the copying onto USB.

I have copied ubuntu 18.04.6-server-arm64.iso to a USB stick using Etcher(after a google search).

I do not see to get the next step as I am still getting the same error "Installation CD/ROM could not be mounted"

Do you mind walking me through the process?

How do I do the second step.

also My Mac pops up "the disk you attached was not readable by this computer" anytime I plug in the bootable USB stick.

Thanks

14. HuL1

HuL1 Bit poster

15. 嘎嘎盒无语

嘎嘎盒无语 Bit poster