Convert Fixed disk to expanding?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RicG1, Aug 14, 2018.

1. RicG1

RicG1 Bit poster

I have an 80gb Windows VM and, to save space on a laptop SSD, I'd like to convert it to an expanding disk (I'm not using anywhere near the 80gb I initially gave it). I'm pretty sure I can do this with the command line tools, but I can't find the right syntax. (I could swear I saw it posted somewhere, but lost the link.)

On the same topic, will the tool be smart enough to just create segments for the used space or will it just give me 80gb of segments?

Thanks?

2. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

Does anybody have an answer to this question? I need to do the same thing...thanks

3. Hello, did you check this KB article?
    Please let us know if it doesn't work for you

4. MichaelM92

MichaelM92 Member

I did this, but it doesn't allow me to make the disk smaller, which is what I want to do.

5. TimS29

TimS29 Bit poster

I have a MacBook Pro with 256 GB of storage. I need less than 100 GB for everything including expansion. However, I cannot make it smaller even following the article mentioned above. Thus the Mac has only 29 Gb available space ( though it actually should have about 150 free ). When Monterey is released, I will not be able to install it due to this problem.

I have been reaching out to support for over 6 months and can get no response. I just get scripts that do not relate, and then the same questions over and over even though they are answered in detail.
    If anyone knows of a way to reduce the reserved space for expansion, please let us know. Nobody on the team seems to have a clue.