Windows 10 over time starts to suffer frequent 10-30 sec UI lock-ups with 100% active disk time

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DavidS113, May 31, 2021.

1. DavidS113

DavidS113 Bit poster

I have been using Parallel's for a couple of years now with Windows 10.

Initially everything was great and I was quite impressed. However 6 months or so in, it started suffering from UI lock-ups more and more frequently as time went by when trying to do simple things like drag a window, access files, click menus - pretty much a whole stack of random things would cause 10-30 second lock-ups before the UI would start responding again (often with Not Responding displayed in the title bar of which ever window I was in).

I contacted support with no joy, even after a support person called me and connected to my machine, it seemed like they had no tools to debug anything or really offer any suggestions other than reinstalling Parallels and Tools which I'd already tried many times. I have not had any luck searching for a solution either.

Other Parallels VM's on my machine still seemed to perform fine. The Windows 10 install would be what I'd also consider a fairly clean install, basically a software development IDE I installed at the start which I use to write and compile code along with a GIT client. I hadn't really installed anything else much. The only real difference I can see from the initial install is there's a lot more data stored on the disk, such as large log files my software has generated etc.

I suspect it might be some kind of disk IO issue. If I bring task manager up, whenever it locks up, the "Active Time" goes to 100%, the disk transfer rate however stays low. It's all running on a late 2018 MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM, 4TB SSD (of which more than half is empty). It had all the highest specs available at the time. Running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. This too is what I'd call clean, barely any apps installed other than what it came with. Parallels 16.0.1 (48919) currently. The issues happen even after a reboot of both macOS and Windows 10 with no apps running (other than things like explorer).

I basically gave up trying to fix this, copied a backup of the Windows 10 VM I made after I had installed it and applied updates, reinstalled the code IDE, copied over my source code and everything was great again.

Months later this VM started showing signs of the original one and is now at a point where it is almost unusable, the same frequent lock ups, the same 100% disk active time while the transfer rate stays low. I've also just done a disk scan in Windows and reported no errors (Ironically it locked up for 10 seconds clicking on the Close button though..). I also ran a scan over the mac drive with no issues found.

I boot up other VM's and they run fast with no noticeable issues. I'm about to yet again take a clean backup of the original VM and reinstall everything and copy across my code and start again but this is a pain to have to do every few months, I would like to try and track down what is causing this and it's making the whole Parallels experience frustrating.

Any constructive suggestions very welcome.
    Thanks

LazyA likes this.
  2. DavidS113

DavidS113 Bit poster

So I waited a year or so before giving up and finally posting a question about this issue here. Then while my post was pending approval I thought of something else to try. The space allocated to c: in Windows 10 was 256GB and I only had around 25GB space free which I felt was a little low and was wondering if that was affecting performance. I made a clone of the VM, renamed the original and increased the drive size to 512Gb to see if it made a difference.

I booted into Windows and everything was running like it was brand new again, no lock-ups. I checked the drive and saw it was still 256GB showing in Windows Explorer but quickly realised in Disk Management the drive size had been increased to 512GB but the partition hadn't be increased. Then I thought, if I shutdown Windows and go back into the Parallel configuration and change the drive size back to 256GB, will it be slow again?

I changed the drive back to its original 256GB size again, booted Windows 10 and again it seems like new, snappy and no lock-ups, no 100% Active Disk time in Task Manager..

I did all this on a copy of the VM as I didn't want to risk destroying it in the process, so have just tried again (but there is a twist to the story..).

1) Made a fresh copy of the slow VM
    2) Change the size of the drive to 512GB, apply. Immediately change it back to 256GB and apply.
    3) Boot Windows 10
    4) Windows 10 running fast again, no lock-ups

Amazing I thought!

Then I thought, I better clone the original VM and boot that unchanged to confirm it was in fact slow and it wasn't just that the VM had been copied to a fresh file.

1) Copied VM
    2) Booted unchanged, it runs fast, no lock-ups

Hmm ok, so the duplicate is fast with no changes.

I then deleted the clone and renamed and booted the original, now this one seems to be operating like new again as well fast with no lock-ups, I had not made any changes to this one at all. This has been suffering the lock-up issue for months prior to this with nothing else helping..

Are some of the configurations for the VM stored outside of the .pvm file, so when I made a clone of it and changed settings, would something have been saved that would have affected the original file when I renamed it back and ran it? If there are other setting files, I had backed up everything to Time Machine just this morning so can retrieve any original files to compare what has changed.

I have not run Windows 10 long enough to confirm 100% that this has solved the issue but I can't remember the last time I booted into Windows 10 and then been able to bring up File Explorer and click on a folder or file within seconds of booting without everything being unusable for quite some time.

HenrikN likes this.
  3. DavidS113

DavidS113 Bit poster

UPDATE: I just upgraded from Parallels 16.0.1-48919 to 17.0.0-51461 and the issue I had in this thread has resurfaced, my Windows 10 VM is now almost unusable, continually locks up and the Disk Active time in Task Manager goes to 100% whenever everything locks up.

Given what I learnt previously and posted here, I started experimenting. I tried more things than I am listing here but I've boiled it down to this repeatable situation:

1) While Parallels is closed, make a copy in Finder of my Windows 10 VM to a temp folder.
    2) Start Parallels, confirmed in the Control Center that the entry for my VM points to the original still by going "Show in Finder".
    3) Boot the original VM, it now runs perfect again, fast, responsive - great.
    4) Shutdown the VM and close Parallels.
    5) Delete the temporary copy of the VM from my temp folder (I never even booted this copy).
    6) Boot the original VM again - it now runs rubbish again, locks up - unusable.

I can repeat the above and it behaves the same each time.

This is somewhat perplexing to me, it almost seems like something at the file system level in MacOS to do with how it handles copying files - why does this seemingly unrelated copy of the file in a temp folder that is not even booted or touched seem to affect the performance of the original? While it exists, the original is great, once deleted it reverts to locking up etc. The file system might do a copy on write under the hood but it is still weird that once the copy is deleted the original goes back to its old ways..

However that said, this situation seems to have surfaced twice now when I've upgraded Parallels to a newer version, somehow this must be a factor too?? Everything had been perfect for a couple of months until I upgraded and then immediately the problem appeared. I'd also scanned my MacBook Pro SSD and it found no errors and I haven't seen any other issues.

Oh and to be 100% sure I was booting the original and not the copy, I saved a file in Windows and then once I had deleted the copy and booted back in I could confirm the file was there.

Is anyone from Parallels support interested in this issue? I can't be the only one in the world who's had this issue and I've spent hours debugging this to get to this point. I have previously lodged a ticket for this the first time it happened but the support staff seemed out of ideas after checking a few basic settings and doing a reinstall of Parallels and tools in Windows (all of which I'd tried before anyway). I suspect I can make a copy of the VM and delete the original and everything will likely be fine again but it seems like I'd be throwing away some valuable debugging information you could use to find out what is really happening.

HenrikN likes this.
  4. JeffD6

JeffD6 Bit poster

Hi DavidS113,
    Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed explanation of your problems and trouble shooting steps! Like you, I have had endless problems with my Windows 10 VM running on a MB Pro 16" with 8 Cores and 32GB of RAM running MacOS 10.15.7 after upgrading to Parallels 16 a few months ago. I had the drive utilization issue you mention last year in Parallels 15 but had not seen it for a while. After upgrading to Parallels 16 a few months ago, I started having issues again where my Win10 VM would randomly freeze and become unresponsive but when I checked the Activity Monitor on my Mac it was not showing the drive utilization issue I was having before. In my instance, it was the VM's processor usage that would show 100% during these periods and the only way to get the VM functioning was to Pause or Suspend the VM and then resume it if I did not want to let the VM sit for some indeterminable about of time. Sometimes, during the suspend/pause process, or if I let the VM sit long enough in that state, I would get a Parallels message that a critical error had occurred and it would ask me to submit a log of the issue to Parallels. Then Parallels released the last update to 16 and it seemed better for a little while but has since returned to randomly freezing, only I do not get the critical error has occurred messages anymore. The other issue I had was whenever the VM would enter Travel Mode it would become very latent, sluggish and almost unusable. Support does not seem to have resolutions to these problems and each tech that would access my computer would turn on/off settings the prior tech turned off/on or change the hypervisor mode from Apple to Parallels and visa-versa and then create and gather another technical report. I finally reverted back to Parallels 15 and both of those problems went away. I was thinking of trying an upgrade to Parallels 17 but your post seems to indicate they just slapped a higher version number on the same set of issues that existed in Parallels 16.

5. DavidS113

DavidS113 Bit poster

I can't recall if the monitoring tools on the Mac side were showing drive issues for me or not, but I do know whenever there was a freeze (which was frequently) the Active Time for Disk 0 (C:) in task manager would always be at 100% but with a small value on the "Disk transfer rate" shown below. I've only really had this particular issue, I haven't noticed high CPU or errors as such.

What I ended up doing was copying my whole VM off to an external drive to rule out any trickery with cloning files on the same disk and copied it back again so I was sure it's a completely new copy with no ties to the old file. I am running this VM now and it works like a dream, like it is brand new again and I did nothing other than copying it.

I was hoping someone (i.e. a dev probably) from Parallels might be interested in investigating so I left the old one that behaves strangely there, just renamed.

Given that copying the VM off and back on again solved my issue, part of me thinks it is some weird issue with the file system or Mac OS - however, the issue has now shown up twice immediately after upgrading Parallel versions, so that somehow has an affect on it as well. I'm pretty sure after the first time I upgraded and ran into this issue I tried downgrading to the exact version that was working fine before and the VM was still freezing up in the old version.

Your issue might be a different one, I am not sure, but it might be worth trying copying yours off and back again and see if it mysteriously fixes itself. I was a little paranoid as it was such a large file so I computed an SHA256 of the internal main drive in the VM package before copying it off and verified it once it was copied back on to ensure nothing got corrupted in the process.

The specs on our machines look pretty similar. I don't have much installed on the Mac side of things, so the install is still pretty clean with lots of drive space available.

I'll be interested in any updates you have.

6. KevinC22

KevinC22 Bit poster

For months, I have been having the same problems with high disk usage making the VM unresponsive for large amounts of time. Start up and shut down were also very long. All kinds of things would cause Windows' Task Manager to report 100% disk usage, while at the same time, only a handful of processes would only report no more than 0.1MB/s or 0.2MB at any given time during the high usage.

I came across the posts above from @DavidS113 about moving the VM to an external drive and then copying it back on.

I did so today. I copied the VM file to an external drive, deleted the in-place VM, then copied the file back from the external drive.

When booting the VM afterward, performance was immediately better. Start up took a small fraction of the time, and I'm not noticing any abnormally high disk usage in the VM. Also, I now see lots of processes actually reporting higher IO rates in MB/s, while the % of Disk usage remains much more reasonable in accordance with actual disk activity.

As there was no change to the VM file during moving/copying it, it makes me thing that something with the macOS file system might be causing the issues, as @DavidS113 suggested.

I started and shut down the VM several times afterward, and there was no drop in performance.

Afterward, I renamed the newly copied VM file, and then restored the one I had deleted from the Trash. So far, after starting and shutting down the original VM file a couple times after restoring it, there has been no decrease in performance.

I am linking to this thread in my open support ticket with Parallels. Hopefully this will draw some attention to it.

Thanks for the idea, @DavidS113.

7. KevinC22

KevinC22 Bit poster

As an update, it looks like Parallels was still using thew newly copied VM file rather than the original file which had be restored from the trash. I just tried opening the original VM file from Finder, and the performance problems are actually far worse for it now.

The newly copied VM file continues to work fine, however.

8. GennadyD

GennadyD Junior Member

I can confirm that the trick with copying VM outside and bringing it back seems working. It changes the behavior dramatically and frequent freezes stopped (at least for several days I am using VM). For me doing it from time to time will be an acceptable workaround though Parallels guys should look at the issue. It looks like between Apple and Parallels. Thanks for the trick, otherwise I was ready to consider Virtual Box.

9. FernandoR5

FernandoR5 Bit poster

All the same symptoms Parallels 17 macos monterrey 12.1, the same fix worked for me copying from an external drive.
    I hope you guys do something to fix it soon, it seems every time I upgrade to either a new macos or a new parallels version I have the same issue

10. FredB6

FredB6 Bit poster

Same issues since upgrading. Very frustrating!
    I have dedicated up to 32gigs to the VM and still the same. Makes it almost impossible for me to work in Windows.
    upload_2022-2-1_18-40-24.png upload_2022-2-1_18-42-11.png

11. Richard U

Richard U Bit poster

This has plagued me for several years (100% disk use but applications only showing 0.1MB/s.)
    I did as LeeM8 advised in this thread (delete potentially corrupt Local Time Machine snapshots):
    https://forum.parallels.com/threads/windows-10-poor-performance-and-100-disk-usage.338717/page-2
    I also excluded the containing folder from Time Machine.
    This might explain why copying the VM disk image and starting the new one seems to make the problem go away for a while, but it always comes back.
    So far it's working OK....

12. Serendip7

Serendip7 Bit poster

This exact thing started happening to me on version 17. The only thing I've done differently recently is turn on Time Machine but after cloning I excluded the vm files and it still happened after a couple of days. Will turn off Time Machine all together and see if it helps.

13. ParallelsU972

ParallelsU972 Bit poster

I have a very similar problem except when my Windows hangs, the Parallel toolbar shows only network activity, no disk activity and processor is gray (not maxed out red). If I'm on a Teams call, audio also cuts out for that hang time. As soon as the disk activity resumes, windows immediately resumes normal operation. And when Windows hangs, I have a moveable windows waiting circle but can't type or switch between apps.

Have been using this Windows build for about two years so trying to determine if it's an issue with Parallels or if maybe I need to do a fresh Windows build. Running 10.15.7 on the Mac, Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2, Parallels 17.1.4

14. JordanL5

JordanL5 Bit poster

I experienced the same issue of high disk utilization very poor performance (10-45 seconds to open file browser). The issue for me was Mac Spotlight searching the Parallel's pvm directory.
    I resolved my issue by adding the "Parallels" directory to the "Privacy" option.
    "System Preferences"=>"Spotlight"=>"Privacy"=>"+"

upload_2022-9-6_11-57-48.png
    Instant day and night difference. Windows is now usable.
    I have a 2019 MBP 16, macOS Monterey, 2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7,
    64 GB ram, 2TB storage.

ErikB8 likes this.
  15. smottonen

smottonen Bit poster

My symptoms match DavidS113 perfectly.. I have been through this loop THREE TIMES now:
    - upgrade Parallels version
    - have issues with complete VM lockups, usually sleep or suspend related, requiring a hard VM reset (or sometimes a Mac reset).
    - start experiencing the 100% Activity Time and UI lockup issues as described by DavidS113. Windows disk repair tools don't help.

This last iteration was with PD18. I reverted to PD17, but it didn't fix the VM. In the previous two times through this loop, I gave up and built a new VM, assuming the VM itself was corrupted. The rebuilt VM was always fine. This time, I copied a two week old copy of the VM from an external drive, and it's working fine. Next time, I'll try copying off the "bad" VM and copying it back. I hadn't thought about the possibility of Mac file system issue.

16. sutepanushikind

sutepanushikind Bit poster

for everyone here: try to disable TRIM in virtual HDD settings

17. BenMc

BenMc Bit poster

DavidS113, thanks for your comprehensive summary of the issue. Identical problem here. This is the third time that this has happened and it's cost me literally days of work each time. The VM is almost, but not quite usable, since there are 20-30 second delays every time it needs to access the disk.
    For reference, I'd like to add the windows event that I tracked the issue down to:
    Windows VM Issue.png

Like you, I checked the Mac hardware and it all checks out fine. I note that the first time it happened, I tried to jump ship to VMWare Fusion, but it did the same thing, which points strongly at a MacOS filesystem issue.
    I'll try your 'copy to external drive' fix. I use Time Machine, so it's very possible this is related to TM backups. Will attempt to report back here with any info I can extract, since I agree, Parallels don't have a clue about this one. I think it's up to us.

18. BenMc

BenMc Bit poster

OK, so thanks to Richard U for that link. Deleting the local Time Machine snapshots fixed the issue immediately, even given that the TM snapshots were deleted while the VM was running.
    Note that for me, Disk Utility didn't show any snapshots at all (I had checked that). Only the tmutil command was able to show them (and there were 11!).
    Here's the juice from LeeM8 at https://forum.parallels.com/threads/windows-10-poor-performance-and-100-disk-usage.338717/page-2:

After a lot of fruitless troubleshooting and Googling, I randomly did a "First Aid" for my drive in the Disk Utility app. To my surprise, there were 18 snapshots of my Mac hard drive that I was not expecting. Though the First Aid completed with no issues found, I immediately Googled how to delete these snapshots. I found the article titled How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac.
    To list the snapshots, open up the Terminal app on your Mac and type the following, then press the Return key to see the snapshots present:
    tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
    To delete an individual snapshot you can type something like this:
    sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots 2018-03-01-002010 (You will need to enter your Mac password after pressing Return.)
    Or if you are like me and want all of them gone as fast as possible, type this:
    sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots /​

Just for fun, if you already have your About this Mac / Storage display open, you can watch your drive get a few gigs back as the snapshots are deleted.​

In retrospect, it appears that the local snapshot system got corrupted and was causing issues when a VM went to access the hard drive.
    Hopefully this helps one or two people out there.​

19. Ian100

Ian100 Bit poster

I'm running Parallels 19 Pro Edition on a 2018 MBP with Monterey 12.7.2 and had exactly this problem for the last 3 or 4 months. I tried most of the posted solutions without experiencing any reduction in disk utilisation or improvement in performance. I also upgraded to the Pro edition because I thought increased RAM might help, but it didn't. However what did work work for me was the above tip from JordanL5:
    "I resolved my issue by adding the "Parallels" directory to the "Privacy" option.
    "System Preferences"=>"Spotlight"=>"Privacy"=>"+" "
    This immediatly resolved the issue and performance of my Windows 10 machine is lightning fast again - thank you for sharing Jordan5L!
    I suspect that this is also related to the behavour that DavidS113 described at the beginning of this topic, with Spotlight indexing maybe working more efficiently with 'new' VM files.

ErikB8 likes this.