Configuring Windows 11 on M1 Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by RobertH62, Oct 1, 2021.

1. RobertH62

RobertH62 Bit poster

I have an M1 MacBook Air I recently purchased. I installed the Apple App Store version of parallels desktop. I have followed the configuration instructions on downloading and installing the Windows 11 ARM release. I have downloaded the VHXD (Windows11_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us__22454.VHDX). When I go to create a new VM, I choose the VHXD I downloaded and I get an error of "Unable to detect operating system. Click continue to proceed anyway or try another source." Does anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong? I have even tried double clicking on the VHXD file and it simply brings me to a new configuration window. Is the Apple App Store version of parallels desktop somehow limited?

Thanks

2. Soham

Soham Bit poster

@RobertH62 First of all, congrats on NEW M1 MBA. Speaking of App Store, the apps are going to be slightly different cause Apple likes to controls their App Store with only allowing certain features. So I recommend you to download the app direct from dev site. The issue you are having with Win 11 on M1 using Parallels will most likely fix the glitch from recognizing the Win 11 VHXD OS.

3. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Most discussion about Parallels/M1/Windows11 is happening in the Silicon Mac Section:
    https://forum.parallels.com/forums/parallels-desktop-for-apple-silicon-m1-mac.788/