Windows 11 on Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by kundanno, Jun 23, 2021.

1. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

2. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

FWIW, here's the situation on my M1:
    - never left Dev channel actively. I never ever did anything in the Insider section.
    - Using latest Parallels 17 version
    - Current version: 22000.184
    - Might be important: I did register Windows with my Windows 10 Pro key (used to have windows 10 pro insider in the beginning)
    - On the Insider page in Windows Updates, I have been "kicked out, but in a positive way" of the Insider Program. I get no incompatibility messages anymore. My installation looks as if it were a Windows 11 Final Release, or Final Preview on a computer that meets all criteria.
    I have read that 22000.x will be the final version for the release of Windows 11, and that is also the version that is curently in the beta and preview release channels.
    22454 is currently in the Dev channel and this is NOT the version that will be released in october, this is a version that will later become an update to windows 11, as I understand it.
    Basically, it seems to me that the risk is that at some point users get a warning that M1 is not supported and that they will no longer receive updates, leaving the VM at the risk of malware attacks. My plan is that if everything fails, I will have to get a Matebook X which is also fanless and reasonably similar to the Macbook --- and I will be really mad at MS....

3. Harry12

Harry12 Member

In etwa ist bei mir die gleiche Situation wie bei Ihnen, nur dass ich noch Parallels 16.5.1 habe und Windows bei mir nicht aktiviert ist, da ich nur eine Windows 10 Home-Lizenz habe. Daher glaube ich nicht, dass zumindest zur Zeit ein Pro-Schlüssel von Bedeutung ist.

Attached Files:

4. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Dev build 22458 seems to insist on having TPM chip enabled.
    I have been using 17.0.1 on Dev channel without TPM enabled, with no problems until today. Build 22458 update today reported that 'This PC does not meet requirements' (screenshot attached) and aborted the update. I enabled TPM in settings, tried again, used the "Fix issues" button and downloaded and installed.
    Actually I realise I did not try the "Fix issues" button before enabling TPM which was an option. When I saw the screenshot I went straight to enabling TPM. Maybe someone else can try "Fix Issues" without enabling TPM.
    Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 11.06.53.png

ChristopherW23 likes this.
  5. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

However after turning on TPM I did not get the screenshot so I think turning it on was crucial in being able to apply the update.

6. BobW11

BobW11 Member

I'm guessing they will spoof a virtual Qualcomm CPU when they are able to negotiate that with MS.

7. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Thanks for that, I haven't seen (or really looked for) a similar article about the Dev channel but my experience with build 22458 looks like the same change, as would be expected.

8. A200

A200 Bit poster

I just wanted to say that a day or so after a fresh install of the new Windows 11 ARM file now available on the insider preview website, I have not had any incompatibility message, warning or error in the settings. Activation was smooth and windows update works fine. I haven't yet added the TPM chip to the Parallels control panel (though I think this is only required for Windows Hello or fingerprint scanning etc.) It allows me to enter any of the Windows Insider channels too, but I have left as is for now just to see how it runs.

9. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Junior Member

I tried the fix issue first, no result. Only option was to turn on TPM.

Mike Boreham likes this.
  10. AppleO

AppleO Junior Member

Ah thanks for clarifying. I have left insider previews off for now seeing as its a working and supported build.

11. ChristoherK

ChristoherK Bit poster

So as I understand from a few articles I've read.. MSFT has no plans on supporting virtualization of Windows 11 on arm platform. Since I've been unable to find a copy of Windows 10 arm64 and Udump images don't seem to work I'm in the dev channel using the latest build. Haven't found a way to change channels to beta or release and as already mentioned I don't have a Win10 image. Given their lack of support what happens once the preview expires (don't recall the date)? I realize there are several other OS that run in parallel desktop, but I'd like to be able to run Windows VM.

12. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

You can mount release Windows 11 iso right into your dev build and run setup. You cannot transfer app settings, but you can make a clean install.

mbook likes this.
  13. ChristoherK

ChristoherK Bit poster

Isn't the release ver of W11 iso only 64bit. How can that be installed in an Arm environment (dev build)? Just curious. Thanks

14. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

(I didn't read everything here, and don't understand everything, but since I have Win 11 release version 22000 installed on parallels, I am wondering if not Parallels (the company) could simply provide a VM with that installed and then you simply add your Win key and use it. Sorry if I am completely mistaken here).

15. mbook

mbook Bit poster

The download page says to use the Assistant for ARM, but that produced an Intel as well. Then mounting and running setup, the installation almost begins then says "Windows 11 installation has failed"

16. PedroS7

PedroS7 Junior Member

Mike Boreham and mbook like this.
  17. ChristoherK

ChristoherK Bit poster

18. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Only build 22000.160 available as iso, but it will upgrade itself to release .194

19. AppleO

AppleO Junior Member

Im currently on 22000.194 working fine. MS website has Win 11 22454 insider preview for ARM still. Is that the unstable version?

20. ChristoherK

ChristoherK Bit poster

Installed and now running 22000.194. The about screen no longer says preview and no more build info on the lower side of desktop. . Running well at the moment

Harry12 likes this.