Preserve M1 VM across device restore?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by gVirtual, Oct 6, 2021.

1. gVirtual

gVirtual Junior Member

Hi.
    Looks like i need to back out of a Monterey beta install due to compatibility issues with Parallels (Parallels VM exits when starting a camera in Teams). Don't have time to debug this and just need to get back to a stable work environment.

I'm trying to figure out what happens with an M1 VM with TPM enabled and in use if I copy that VM off somewhere, wipe/restore the device, and copy the VM back onto the same machine. Will that work? Is there anything about the TPM implementation that will cause it to potentially not work?

I don't understand whether or not the TPM uses the M1's secure enclave, some local keychain thing that won't survive restore, or some derivative of a machine id which might not persist after the steps I describe. I've tried looking at KBs but I can't convince myself that I can predict what'll happen.

Thanks!

2. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

You'll need to disable TPM before you wipe your computer. When TPM is on it locks the instance of windows 11 to your virtual machine.
    I don't have the KB article handy but you can search parallels and they will tell you how to disable TPM.

3. gVirtual

gVirtual Junior Member

Thanks...this got me pointed in the right direction. There's actually a KB article on how to export/import relevant items from the keychain to make this work. It's here:

https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702

4. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

That's it!
    Man! It's a lot of work o_O

5. gVirtual

gVirtual Junior Member

Not really a ton of work - just copying the VMs to their new location and exporting/importing a couple of keys from the keychain.
    Most importantly, it works and my VMs are up and running on the paved machine.