Diablo II Resurrected - Intel Mac Parallels 17 error

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by KyleC8, Oct 4, 2021.

1. KyleC8

KyleC8 Bit poster

I have a fresh windows 10 install (fully patched) and Parallels 17.0.1. The VM is configured for gaming in a fairly default config. I have installed Dialbo II Resurrected and when I go to launch it get "Failed to initialize Graphics Device. Please ensure your PC meets the minimum system requirements and your drivers are up to date." I'm assuming it doesn't like something about the parallels graphics drive ... but this machine should be more than capable of running the game. Is there anything I can do?

2. beagley

beagley Member

Same here. I piggy-backed on a post about doing this on M1 device, where other Intel Mac folk are chiming in as well.

3. KyleC8

KyleC8 Bit poster

Thanks @beagley. Find anything about Intel. It makes sense that this would be problematic for M1 ... but I would have thought Intel Macs would have been fine.

4. beagley

beagley Member

Maybe there will be an update or a fix down the road.
    For now I'm going to uninstall and come back in a month.

KyleC8 likes this.
  5. Hello,
    could you collect the technical report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?

6. KyleC8

KyleC8 Bit poster

7. Hello,
    Thank you for providing us with the technical data.
    We've involved Parallels Engineering in this case and once we get any updates we will be let you know.
    Thank you for our cooperation with us.

8. DeanT2

DeanT2 Bit poster

Also having the same issue on an Intel MAC Pro.
    • High Sierra
    • GeForce GT 750m
    • 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
    Waiting for an update, hopefully soon! thank you.

9. DeanT2

DeanT2 Bit poster

For what it's worth, I tried to install the latest NVIDIA Drivers for GTX 750m on the Windows 10 VM (Parallels latest version).

Could not install it as could not find compatible graphics hardware, so it seems Parallels does not find dedicated GPU hardware.

So when trying to load D2R, they must be checking for system hardware, which cannot be found.

10. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

11. ErikT2

ErikT2 Member

Any luck getting the D2R game to run in Parallels on an intel Mac? Any config settings to adjust to get D2R to identify a valid graphics card maybe?

12. FernandoN3

FernandoN3 Bit poster

I'm also trying to run D2R with parallels but I get same error, it seems to me that D2R does not recognize Parallels Display Adapter as a supported "video card"

13. PhilippeD1

PhilippeD1 Bit poster

Hi. I have the same problem. I cannot open D2R.
    upload_2021-11-27_14-18-41.png

RetoM likes this.
  14. RetoM

RetoM Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue

15. _JeromeC_

_JeromeC_ Member

After contacting PD support I got the following answer :

Apparently, the game seems to require DirectX 12, which is currently not yet supported in Parallels Desktop virtual machines (11 being the latest DirectX version supported).
    Our Development Team is actively working on implementing the support.
    We advise you to subscribe to this article https://kb.parallels.com/125552 ("Get Updates" button) to get informed once the feature is implemented.

Not extremely confident, I had read something similar in another forum.

16. DanielM82

DanielM82 Bit poster

Parallel 18 has just been released with more "gaming features". Maybe D2R doesn't have the problem anymore?

17. Tema1

Tema1 Bit poster

Unfortunately nope :
    Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 09.41.28.jpg

18. VladislavD2

VladislavD2 Bit poster

Please update the status. I have the same issue.

here is the log after launching the game:
    7/28 23:11:38.962 [Prism/4] [<>:0]: prism: Error Invalid (0x00000000): pm_api::platformInstance::CreateDevice: Unsupported API Backend

7/28 23:11:38.962 [D2Prism/5] [<>:0]: Fatal: failed to create device.
    7/28 23:11:38.966 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 6840 driver version 704543l device name Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)
    7/28 23:11:38.966 [D2Prism/4] [<>:0]: Available GPU vendor ID 5140 driver version 1247873764l device name Microsoft Basic Render Driver
    7/28 23:11:41.483 [D2Win/5] [<>:0]: Fatal failure during initialization.