Keyboard in Big Sur guest does not work after suspend/resume

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by GarthS, Sep 1, 2021.

1. GarthS

GarthS Junior Member

There are a couple of other posts sniffing around this or similar issues, but they're mostly reviving years-old threads. Also, in my case, the behavior doesn't occur with Windows 10 or Linux guests.

The problem: In Big Sur guest OSes, the keyboard works normally for VMs that are freshly booted. However, suspending and then resuming a VM results in the keyboard not working. No keypress events are propagated to the VM. I see this 100% of the time and the effect occurs in multiple VMs. The Big Sur version is 11.5.2; that is also the host OS.

Unlike some other reports, my trackpad continues to work normally after resuming.

I submitted a technical data report as well.

2. DwightB

DwightB Bit poster

I am also having this problem. The host OS in my case is Catalina, otherwise the rest is the same. After a suspend/resume, the keyboard does not work. It works fine after a restart or shutdown/start.

Does not seem that anyone is interested in this thread. Have you had any luck solving the problem?

3. GarthS

GarthS Junior Member

If this query is directed at me (the OP), no, I have not. Well, OK, I have, but the solution is "Don't use macOS guests under Parallels for now."

4. PaulM62

PaulM62 Bit poster

Have exact same problem in Big Sur. Catalina and other VMs always work fine.

5. KevinS99

KevinS99 Bit poster

I am having this issue too, and only way to resolve so far is restart the VM. Relaunching Parallels does not help.

6. ThomasTankmar

ThomasTankmar Bit poster

I have the same issue. Have tried:
    - Update to macOS Monterey Beta 8
    - Re-install Parallels Tools
    - Perform a fresh install of macOS Big Sur 11.6
    But same problem. Keyboard is not working after suspend/resume, and only solution so far is to restart the VM.

7. Mr. C.

Mr. C. Member

Same issue here w/Big Sur. Parallels lack of response or solution here is disturbing.

8. PaulW11

PaulW11 Bit poster

Big Sur and Monterey both have this problem for me.

9. Tender

Tender Bit poster

Same issue with Big Sur guest VM on Big Sur. Both 11.6

10. ShadowVA

ShadowVA Bit poster

I am seeing this issue 100% of the time running Parallels 17.0.1 and macOS 11.6 in both the host and VM. Rebooting the VM is the only way to solve the issue.

11. Tender

Tender Bit poster

Just curious, anyone using an external keyboard that is also experiencing the issue? Using mechanical keyboard through a dock that connects to the MacBook. The laptop lid is closed, external displays. The keyboard goes dead inside the guest VM.

12. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

13. Just_me

Just_me Bit poster

I'm having the same issue on a 2018 Mac mini with macOS 11.6 and Parallels 17.0.1, VM running the latest Monterey beta. Keyboard stops working in the guest VM after resuming, the only way to make it work again is to restart the VM.

Tried selecting "Optimize for games" for keyboard in Parallels preferences, but it does not fix the issue.

14. Just_me

Just_me Bit poster

...aaaand I've just got an update to Parallels 17.1.0 (51516), it solved the keyboard issue! So, if anyone is having the same problem, and when the moderator sobers up and "approves" my both posts (apparently I look like a robot, happens all the time, bleep bleep), just check for updates and install the latest version of Parallles Desktop.

ThomasTankmar likes this.
  15. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are happy to hear that your issue has been fixed with your latest update. Thanks, Parallels Team.

16. Claude2

Claude2 Bit poster

With PArallels 17.0.1 51516 installation my Windows 10 VM keyboard stopped working.
    Still works on Host and still works on an ubuntu VM within the same parallels system.
    Why did the windows VM stop working?
    I spent 3-4 hours with support and by myself trying to find out why.
    I need help re-activating the Keyboard inside the Windows 10 VM