Parallels 17.1 & Fedora 34 Choppy video in browser on M1 Mac

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by RayR2, Oct 16, 2021.

1. RayR2

RayR2 Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue . Really has me scratching my head. Video play choppy in the browser on Fedora 34. It doesn't do it on any other distribution and it only does it in Parallel Desktop. Works fine in QEMU and on an old bare metal laptop that I have.) Was hoping someone had found to magic button. I did send technical data to Parallels. 381307472 Also, this is on a fresh install on the latest update to PD and Parallels tools.

2. RayR2

RayR2 Junior Member

This thread can be ignored. I moved on to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. So far I haven't found anything broken it and they don't do snaps.

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

A bit late but still...
    Your Fedora doesn't seem to take advantage of 3D acceleration available via virtio-gpu/virgl. Run glxinfo and check what renderer is used. Is it llvmpipe?
    My fully up to date (aarch64 stable) Fedora 34 has kernel 5.11.12 and Mesa 21.1.8. It works fine. You have kernel 5.14.11 which can possibly be incompatible with your Mesa stack.

4. RayR2

RayR2 Junior Member

Thank you for your response. However, I have banging on Tumbleweed since I installed it yesterday and have yet to find anything that does not work in there in Parallels Desktop. Seems to be a good marriage.

I have tried Fedora in the past and it seems things have a tendency to break when updates are released. I need something reliable because I work primarily in Linux in my job. The jury is still out and time will tell but so far not regretting making the switch.(running 5.14.9 kernel in Tumbleweed.)

Used Ubuntu for years until they decided they wanted to force snap applications down their users throats. I'm not against snaps in general however since snap apps are sandboxed, they break system integration. Tired of having to find work arounds in both distributions. Have a good day.