Vista crashes in Parallels: "ACPI BIOS reading/writing illegal addresses"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Khoji, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Khoji

Khoji Member

I'm continuing to have serious stability issues with Parallels 5160 in Tiger. Vista regularly crashes out with a blue screen when it is just sitting there doing nothing, with no program loaded. For a some time it looked as though this was related to running multiple VMs, but today it happened for the first time when Vista was running on its own.

I looked at the event logs in administrative tools in Vista and I find a lot of these error messages:

In most cases these are usually the last messages in the log before the crash, although the crash appears to take place a while after the messages were logged. Since Parallels provides the virtual hardware environment I'm guessing that the error here is in Parallels.

I've updated Parallels tools again just to make sure but the error messages continue to appear. Any suggestions?

2. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello,

These BSODs are supposed to be fixed - please wait for the next public beta or stable version of Parallels Desktop.

3. Khoji

Khoji Member

Thanks for the information. Any idea when this is due out? Not exactly but at least some kind of time frame: days, weeks, sometime next year?

4. Khoji

Khoji Member

@Archy: Thanks for not replying -- that will help me to decide whether to switch to Fusion or not. ;)

For everyone else: You can fix these crashes with the following steps:

1: Disable all sleep, screensaver and hibernation options in Vista. Vista running in the VM should never be allowed to switch to a screensaver, sleep or hibernate.

2: Make sure that none of the hard disks on your Mac can ever spin down. If they do while your Vista VM is idle and Vista tries to access them, Vista will crash. You can prevent this by creating a cronjob. Instructions can be found here -- the easiest method is to use the free Cronnix application (see the 4th comment on the main post).

5. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Khoji,

Unfortunately not all Parallels Team members can check forums constantly.
    The update Archy has mentioned should become available before the end of this year :)

6. Khoji

Khoji Member

That's good news... You should publicize this a bit more. There are at least six Parallels users I know personally who are now testing Fusion because they can't get any information on when the bugfixes and Leopard-compatible updates will be ready...

7. SWD

SWD Bit poster

what is the status for this fix? I have latest version and problem exists using Vista Business. I also have screen saver and sleep disabled.