macOS VM on M1 Mac: How to configure

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by MatthiasS9, Oct 18, 2021.

1. MatthiasS9

MatthiasS9 Member

So I have manged to create 2 macOS VMs on my M1 Mac. None of these show any way to properly configure the VM. Both claim to have 28GB disk space, after installation of macOS 12 beta 6 both VMs have ~9.5 GB free space - insufficient to install newer macOS beta updates :(

How can I grow the disk of these VMs, allowing me to update to recent beta versions?

When will we get a Parallels version that allows to properly configure the VMs and create snapshots? The current functionality of Parallels on M1 Macs is clearly insufficient.

2. MattD14

MattD14 Bit poster

3. MatthiasS9

MatthiasS9 Member

Good to see there are already two options to the command that creates a VM, now they just need to add something for
    - the modelID
    - the number of CPUs
    - the memory size
    - the serial number
    - the network type
    - the MAC address
    - the board_ID?
    - ???

4. alev

alev Parallels Team

5. jamiem10

jamiem10 Bit poster

How about setting the serial number of the VM?
    This is one of the most useful parts for testing/debugging DEP profiles

6. LukasD4

LukasD4 Bit poster

Any timeline when setting of SerialNumber will be supported for macOs guest on M1? (Parallels 18)

7. GabrielM14

GabrielM14 Bit poster

I can't seem to change the CPU core count, nor the memory. Whatever values I put in the config.ini, the configuration is unchanged.
    upload_2023-5-26_15-22-58.png

8. alev

alev Parallels Team

Hi Gabriel,

We updated the KB based on the 18.3.0 where command line support was added to change parameters. You can also change them in config.pvs now.

GabrielM14 likes this.