Bloomberg

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JakeH1, Oct 18, 2021.

1. JakeH1

JakeH1 Junior Member

Does Bloomberg work in PD 17? It did not work for me in PD 16, so I downgraded back to 15.

Will Bloomberg work in PD 17 with M1 Pro or M1 Max chip?

2. JimB12

JimB12 Bit poster

Hi, I was wondering if you used Windows 10 on your version of PD 16 with M1 mac? Potentially looking at getting a bloomberg terminal and would be ok running windows 10, but just want to see if there's ANY working solution for bloomberg terminal with an m1 mac. Thanks

3. JakeH1

JakeH1 Junior Member

Hey - so I ran Windows 10 with PD 16 on my intel based Mac. In Dec/Jan of last year, PD 16 DID NOT let Bloomberg run. It blocked it, and it also blocked the website. It is such a mess! I know it works with PD 15 on Windows 10 on intel. However, I am thinking about getting an M1 Mac, but am afraid the new version of PD 17 will not let Bloomberg run based on my experience with PD 16. I wish they could give us a definite answer. I am not going to upgrade to PD without knowing this. I hope they can give us some insight. Let me know if you get any further information please.

4. JimB12

JimB12 Bit poster

Sounds good. I'm likely a month away from getting an M1 myself so will let you know by replying to this thread if i Can get bloomberg working on v17 or any version. I spoke with some tech folks at bloomberg and they said the below quote. Any thoughts on deciphering the below message?

""Regarding M1 support on v17, the only windows you can virtualize is the ARM chipset offering and we really don't support that due to a host of encountered issues (v17 released aug 9th of this year). The ARM-apple silicon based chips are better than there predecessors however after checking w/my peers SME we have seen issues. ""

5. JakeH1

JakeH1 Junior Member

I think that message means that it does work using virtual windows, but they have seen issues (i.e. issues using parallels as a virtual machine) but believe it will work better with M1, but that they can not help if you encounter issues it seems due to the fact that is it running on a virtualization. I am not happy that they mention v17 here, causes me to worry some.

I look forward to hearing from you in a month or so, and if you need any help setting Bloomberg up, please feel free to reach out, I am more than happy to help!

6. JakeH1

JakeH1 Junior Member

Hey have you had any success?

7. OmarQ1

OmarQ1 Bit poster

I have Bloomberg running on 2021 MBP 16 M1 Max running Windows 11 ARM version via PD17, no problems whatsoever. Running in Coherence mode, too.

8. JakeH1

JakeH1 Junior Member

Hey what do you mean by Windows 11 ARM? I thought ARM wasn't supported or something like this? Can you please enlighten me sir?

9. OmarQ1

OmarQ1 Bit poster

When Apple moved away from Intel chips (x86 or x64 architecture) to their own chips (M1 etc), the "regular" version of windows doesn't work, hence why boot camp/dual booting into windows doesn't work nor does that regular version work on Parallels. Microsoft has now released a different version of Windows 11 (ARM architecture) that does run on Apple's M1 chips. There are some other nuances (TPM chips etc) but not hugely important here. Bottom line- If you have an M1 Mac, the ONLY way to run Windows is currently via Parallels using the ARM version of Windows. This, in theory, can create compatibility problems with some programs. Hence why Bloomberg ands others say its not supported. But I use it daily with virtually no issues. Credit to Parallels for making this AMAZINGLY simple. Its like magic.

See this article here. https://www.laptopmag.com/features/i-ran-windows-11-on-an-m1-mac

10. ChadC9

ChadC9 Bit poster

Do you use the Bloomberg APIs/formulas in Excel on Windows ARM, and if so, are they working with the tradition x86 version of Excel or the ARM version of Excel (or both) etc? Just making sure I'm going with the correct setup.

11. OmarQ1

OmarQ1 Bit poster

I'm using the ARM64 build of Office 365 , and yes, I do use the BBG add in within Excel and do data calls. I think it simply has an x64 emulator to be able to run x64 addins. From my usage, I haven't run into any issues. Seems to work just fine.

12. ChadC9

ChadC9 Bit poster

That's great to know, many thanks. As far as computer specs, what are using or recommending in terms of RAM etc to support Bloomberg use on the Apple ARM chips? Just want to make sure I'm getting the right computer setup for the long haul performance-wise.

13. ChadC9

ChadC9 Bit poster

Update on Bloomberg usage via Parallels and Windows ARM...Tried out the terminal and Excel APIs on a new MacBook Pro M1 Pro machine. As indicated above, terminal software seems to run flawlessly. The Excel APIs however (using downloaded Microsoft 365 version of Office) were a bit wonky in terms of bringing in data. Didn't seem to recognize the chronological commands properly in the API formulas (most recent first, or vice versa, etc). Also, the Bloomberg Excel function/tab at top sometimes seems to randomly disappear. Excel restart in Windows doesn't bring it back immediately, but comes back with a full system restart. Will continue to experiment with it and see if future Windows ARM and Bloomberg updates add stability.

14. KonstantinosT1

KonstantinosT1 Bit poster

Do you have any new updates in terms of compatibility ?

15. ChadC9

ChadC9 Bit poster

Tried again a few weeks ago after installing a bunch of updates to Windows for ARM etc. The same situation is still in place. Bloomberg fires up without any problem, but the APIs in Excel remain wonky--all of the issues described prior are still there for me.

Had a recent general update call with my Bloomberg representative and asked about this. She said there are "rumors" internally that Bloomberg is working on a big update with some sort of Mac compatibility, but she didn't know anything beyond the basic rumors she'd heard. So, who knows. Still running Bloomberg on an older Intel Mac via Parallels and keeping fingers crossed this might be resolved sometime in the near future.

I'd be perfectly happy using the Bloomberg Anywhere Citrix version, but they forbid trading functionality for some reason in that implementation--not allowed to override it either, which is strange to me because the login procedure is the exact same. Maybe there are technical reasons they do this. Again, who knows.

16. KonstantinosT1

Thank you for the update. Currently the only functionality I use for excel is to pull the prices live and historical. In this regard did you have any issues?

17. ChadC9

ChadC9 Bit poster

I've been able to pull in data to Excel/365 in Windows ARM on Parallels. As mentioned, however, when it comes to historical data, I can't manipulate it, i.e. can't sort newest to oldest or oldest to newest, or change the daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly parameters, etc. Basically just comes in daily, oldest to newest for me. That's a problem for a bunch of my spreadsheets/models.

18. KonstantinosT1

Thank you very helpful

19. KonstantinosT1

Chad i made the move, with the latest versions i can work with historical data like with the old system. Can manupulate him old or new, can get daily weekly monthly etc everything i have been using it works fine.
    Thank you again

20. ChadC9

ChadC9 Bit poster

Thank you very much for the update. Hmm. Well, very glad it works. Guess I've got to figure out what's limiting my system. Are you using the Excel 365 for Windows ARM or are you running another version of Excel? Maybe I'll try to revert Windows 11 ARM back to default settings and see what happens. I tried again this weekend, updated Windows 11, the Bloomberg terminal software, and the API tools, but still wasn't working normally for me. I used the API diagnostics, which found 5 errors and repaired those.