Parallels Desktop 17 Mac and seriell Port issue

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by sugus, Oct 24, 2021.

1. sugus

sugus Junior Member

Hello together.

Since the update version 17.0 to 17.1.0 I have big problems with my USB - serial adapters. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Although the adapters are recognized, they cannot be accessed. Before the update everything worked without problems.

1. what is going on?
    2. how can I reinstall the old version 17.0?

Daniel

Parallels Desktop 17 Mac, Windows 10

2. mmika

mmika Pro

3. sugus

sugus Junior Member

This thread does not solve my problem.

i have now spent hours testing every configuration imaginable. Suddenly last night it worked. But this morning, on reboot, the Serial USB adapters are detected but are unresponsive. Of course, I checked everything imaginable.

As mentioned, with V 17.0 it worked fine.

I can now neither reinstall V 17.0 (where is this download), nor V15. V15 I can see in my login and download, but downloaded is automatically version 17.1.0

What kind of mess is this?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

4. mmika

mmika Pro

5. StuartM12

StuartM12 Bit poster

I've got the same problem. Mine is with a Honeywell USB-COM program used for firmware upgrade. It stopped working with the version 17.1.0 (51516) update and works again when I roll back to 17.0.1 (51482) linked above.

6. PaulA2

PaulA2 Member

v17.1.0 is working for me, I just had to learn the new "secret" process to enable things.

1: Plug the USB to serial adapter into the Mac. The Mac should have drivers or install the MacOS driver version on the host. I don't even think you need Windows drivers for the devices.
    2: In the VM Control Panel Hardware tab where you add Serial Port, the drop down should show your USB to Serial adapter, and a Bluetooth serial connection which is default. Select the USB to serial adapter and launch Windows.
    3: In Windows, go to the top check that the Devices shows the serial adapter NOT SELECTED (no checkmark)
    4: Check in device manager, you should see a COM 1 showing driver as Parallels.
    *serial ports do not work in ARM64 Windows VMs.

If you plug in later and get the ALLOW pop up, DO NOT ALLOW. If you attempt to direct connect the device, it will have no functionality even though it will show in Device Manager. If you click DENY, and go to Hardware tab you should see and be able to select the serial adapter even though you already booted into Windows. The "allow" method worked on previous versions of Parallels. Perhaps this new way is more reliable once established? This serial port nightmare took up 4 hours of my time the past few days to resolve.

Paul

7. LeonardoP2

LeonardoP2 Bit poster

I downgraded to 17.0.1 as suggested. Received a notification that a new version is available (17.1.0-51516) but, judging from the release notes, the problem has not been fixed. I'll keep waiting until they do, as I need to work with serial devices.

8. StuartM12

StuartM12 Bit poster

Same here. I submitted a bug report and they came back saying that it's a known issue that's being worked on. I didn't get a bug number. It would be better if the release notes referenced bug numbers rather than descriptives...

9. StaceyE

StaceyE Bit poster

Do we know if this problem has been fixed???? The latest version is 17.1.1-51537 but I don't see any mention of fixing this problem I downgraded and I'm running 17.0.1 which works fine.

10. LeonardoP2

LeonardoP2 Bit poster

Yes, it's been fixed.