Purchase Parallels 16.5 for M1 in June now a new version is out

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by AndyN4, Aug 10, 2021.

1. GrigoriG

GrigoriG Bit poster

Same story here. Upgraded to 16 in early May, was expecting free or discounted upgrade pricing when 17 shipped, as is customary in the industry. I'll try to keep using 16 for another year or maybe longer before upgrading. 49.99 won't break the bank, but this doesn't feel right. This is all the more offensive because I asked their support on Twitter--ironically called @ParallelsCares--about my upgrade option, but never received a reply. They have a great product which many of us need to make a living, but their business practices are not in line with what many users have come to expect.

2. ParallelsU626

ParallelsU626 Junior Member

Why don't they allow significantly reduced / free upgrades for those with M1 Macs, who only were able to come onto the scene a few months ago.

3. MaxA4

MaxA4 Bit poster

I'm in the same boat as you guys and feel the same unfairness about Parallel's upgrade policy, especially as we basically signed up as free bug testers for their beta program.
    My attempts at reaching out to them via support and Twitter have been ignored to date.

4. Anand48

Anand48 Member

5. AndyN4

AndyN4 Bit poster

How do I send a private message, I am pretty new on this forum.

6. MaxA4

MaxA4 Bit poster

Hi Anand,

I purchased the Standard Edition for Mac M1 at the end of May, barely 2.5 months ago and now learned I have to pay more money to access the 17.0 version. This strikes me as unfair. A license with free upgrades should last at least a year. I was an early adopter of Parallels for M1 in its Beta form and have dealt with all the issues that go with that. I understand what goes along with being a Beta tester. I have put up with the "no Sound support", "cursor control issues for trackpad", and "memory leaks" that force me to reboot my VM of Kali-Linux often. I'm ok with it, but I just don't think the reward for adopting your product during the testing phase should be to charge me more money. Did you not get good value from all the feedback and troubleshooting all of us early adopters provided? I choose this platform as a tool to help me learn Cybersecurity & Linux. I'm currently unemployed so this news strikes especially hard right now. Respectfully, Thomas Max Ahartz

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2021
  7. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Hi, we've just sent you a private message, please check. Thanks.

8. thinkingBanana

thinkingBanana Bit poster

Hi Anand,
    Could you let us know how to reach out to parallel through private messages?
    I couldn't find such an option readily available on this forum interface; maybe I am missing something. Does somebody else know how to do it?

9. Denis24

Denis24 Bit poster

Hi Anand!
    I somehow too can't find a way to send you private message.
    I've bought v16 on 2.6.21, so I would also ask for some discounted upgrade.

10. MJHamilton

MJHamilton Junior Member

Anand

I have sent two private messages on the request of two different parallels reps on this forum and as of yet have not had a response to either

11. SerMont

SerMont Member

I also purchased the Standard Edition for Mac M1 at the end of April and now learned I have to pay more money to access the 17.0 version. yesterday the last installation of windows was unsuccessful

12. ParallelsU626

ParallelsU626 Junior Member

The irony is that if you have a 16.5 license, you will get a big splash screen telling you to upgrade to 17.0 (with no mention of it being a chargeable option). You do so and you then only have the option of a trial license before you have to pay. The only way out is to delete Parallels (shut down and drag to trash) and then reinstall 16.5, which again, is fairly difficult to find on the parallels site.

13. PietroC

PietroC Junior Member

Si รจ assurdo, contattati in privato mi propongono uno sconto. Una licenza acquistata ad un prezzo superiore ma che era a vita diventa obsoleta solo dopo qualche mese. Che delusione!

Aitor1 likes this.
  14. Aitor1

Aitor1 Bit poster

Same here, the only offer was a 25% discount upgrading to pro, they only want more money, easy as that. What a scam.

15. AndyN4

AndyN4 Bit poster

Not only that, the 25% is for subscription which we have to pay yearly.

16. Gerin

Gerin Bit poster

I have purchase in June as well the standard edition and now i have to upgrade in 4 months, please advise if I can get free upgrade or at least some discount. My emails for support has been utterly ignored.

17. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, kindly send your Parallels Desktop license key in private message. Thanks, Parallels Team.

18. SerMont

SerMont Member

I generally find the behavior of the development team strange. I bought the 16th version in May and already wrote to them about the possibility of buying the 17th version with a discount or for free. but they didn't even answer me. very disappointed

19. HankD

HankD Bit poster

I purchased version 16 at the end of June.. now need to shell out again for a new version.. not happy. has anyone had any luck with request a free upgrade to version 17?

20. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, kindly check private message and reply us back. Thanks, Parallels Team.