Very weird problems of Internet Connection of Parallels Desktop 16.5.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by martinlatino, Jul 5, 2021.

1. martinlatino

martinlatino Bit poster

I am using Macbook Air M1 with macOS Big Sur 11.4 and Parallels Desktop 16.5.0 (50692) is installed.
    In the virtual machine, Windows 10 ARM64 was installed and recently it has been updated to Windows 11 (Update 21H2, version 22000.51).
    In the configuration of Network of the virtual machine, "Shared Network" is selected and both IPv4 and IPv6 are activated.

The problems that I have are the following:
    1. Sometimes after I open the Parallels Desktop (without starting the virtual machine), macOS loses the internet connection inmediately. In this case, there is no internet connection under the virtual machine neither. After the Parallels Desktop is closed, the internet connection of macOS resumes in seconds.
    2. Under the above situation, I select the "Default Adapter" listed in the Bridged Network and restart the virtual machine. Now I have the internet connection under Windows but there is no connection under macOS.
    The most weird thing is that the problem does not appear all the time. There is no way to confirm when it will appear or not.

Does anybody have the similar problem?

2. Adin1

Adin1 Bit poster

I am having the same issue. I contacted support and received an immediate reply with a link to the article on "Fix network issues in a Windows virtual machine". Not much help, lol.

3. XinZ

XinZ Bit poster

Thanks for your message. Well, in my case, I recently update to PD 17.1.0 and keep using "Default Adapter" as the network interface. The internet connection under both macOS and the virtual machine works fine when I connect my home Wifi. But when I connect to the Wifi in my office, the internet connection only works under the virtual machine. I really don't understand what causes the problem.

4. AlexR16

AlexR16 Junior Member

Xinz
    It's only a guess, but it may have nothing to do with Parallels and everything to do with the network configuration of your Mac. You don't say what OS your virtual machine is, but I'm guessing windows. Generally, it's accepted that a corporate network should be utilising a proxy (preferably filtering) and by default, a windows machine (virtual or physical) will pull in the DHCP config required to use the proxy. Mac's do not do this by default and need to be configured to use DHCP to identify a proxy server. On the Mac, in the Advanced settings for the Wifi, turn on the "Auto Proxy Discovery" setting. It'll have no effect at home but if it is a proxy issue, should sort it out at work

upload_2021-10-21_18-18-2.png

5. martinlatino

martinlatino Bit poster

Hi Alex, thank you very much for your answer. The OS under my virtual machine is Windows 11 ARM. I will select the option of Auto Proxy Discovery when I am connected to my office WIFI to check if it can resolve the issue.

However, my problem in the office is the following: When Parallels Desktop is not opened, the connection under macOS is OK. Once I open Parallels, Mac loses its connection, but the connection under the virtual machine is fine. The network adapter I selected under Parallels is "Default Adapter". If I select "Shared Network", none of the connection under macOS or the virtual machine works. All these only happen when I connect in the office. That's why I really don't understand.:(

6. AlexR16

AlexR16 Junior Member

Any chance you can post the output of ifconfig or a screen grab of your wireless network config from System Preferences (without Parallels Desktop running) ? It sounds like there might be a conflict being caused by the creation of one of the non-bridged virtual networks at the launch of Parallels Desktop. Though the chances of this being the case are a bit remote. The Shared network is on 10.211.55.0/24 by default (well is on both my Macs), it's unlikely it's conflicting with your office network, but it could be. It can be changed in the Parallels Desktop Preferences -> Network

7. XinZ

XinZ Bit poster

Hi Alex, recently I upgraded to macOS 12.0.1, now everything seems OK. The internet connection works fine both under macOS and the virtual machine, when Parallels is running. Also, I have switched between Shared Network and Default Adapter, both of them are working without any problems now.

Anyway, I attached the ifconfig info for your analysis (Macbook Air M1 2021, macOS 12.0.1, Parallels Desktop 17.1.0 51516)

Attached Files:

8. AppleO

AppleO Junior Member

Strangely I had a very similar issue, but it only started happening a week or so ago, and was on my home wifi. Were you on the Monterey beta by any chance? I have a feeling I started having Mac wifi issues when the latest beta installed, but after upgrading to the full 12.0.1 I also no longer have the issue and wifi is much more stable.

9. XinZ

XinZ Bit poster

Exactly, the problem that I had was really unpredictable. It happened after some update of Big Sur that I don't even remember when. But once I upgraded to the full Monterey 12.0.1, all problems seem disappear. I will keep watching if there is anything wrong.