Windows 11 Taskbar causes screen artifacts

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by KennethF, Oct 28, 2021.

1. KennethF

KennethF Member

I'm running the most recent version of Parallels with Windows 11 and I am seeing screen or the facts only in the virtual machine. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. KennethF

KennethF Member

Sorry--autocorrect. I am seeing screen artifacts.
    I've done some sleuthing and I think I figured it out. I believe this is yet another issue from the emasculated task bar in Windows 11. When you hover over an icon in the taskbar (which you cannot move from the bottom of the screen BTW), like always it displays a thumbnail of the open windows. But look carefully at the thumbnails in Windows 11 and you will see a little "x" in the upper right corner allowing you to close the thumbnail. They used to disappear by just moving the cursor and they still do... EXCEPT if you don't click the "x" and close the thumbnail, it leaves an artifact in that shape in front of anything else. It only appears when the VM has focus and goes away when you are in the Mac OS, but it blocks access to anything behind it in Windows. If you remember which app caused it you can display the open windows again and if you close the thumbnais manually it goes away. But that doesn't work if you now have a different number of windows open for that app...

Obviously a bug, but the entire taskbar in Windows 11 is terrible. Read this article: https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/14/...ws-11-taskbar-features-missing-design-changes

3. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Did you ever resolve this? I just upgraded to Win11 (latest patches) on PD18 (latest patches) and am seeing some taskbar display artifacts.

4. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

Just solved it for my case:
    Under Settings: Personalization: Colors, I disabled "Transparency effects". So either my Mac's GPU and/or the PD graphics drivers can't handle that. Hope that helps someone.

5. KennethF

KennethF Member

Thanks-- I'll give that a try.