SQL Server Update to Install on Windows for Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mundford, May 13, 2021.

1. Pablo Sebastián

Pablo Sebastián Bit poster

2. AndresD1

AndresD1 Bit poster

Hi Pablo:
    I also got it installed but when using 127.0.0.1 in SSMS it can't connect. Could you please explain what you did? What about current databases in my Win system, just create a package and run int Azure Studio for Mac? Thanks.

3. AndresD1

AndresD1 Bit poster

Figured it out. Got my current IP address for my mac and use that in SSMS! This is great, I was about to return the darn computer. :)

4. CarlosP7

CarlosP7 Bit poster

Hola habría alguna posibilidad que me pasaras esa version de Windows 10. La verdad ocupo mucho SQL Server

5. AndyData

AndyData Bit poster

I have the same issue on the same laptop (M1pro MBP).
    Been trying to solve this for 2 days but I guess SQL Server Express 2019 is not yet supported by Windows 11 on ARM.
    I think we will have to wait for Microsoft to fix this or walk around with docker.

6. Hawkm00n

Hawkm00n Bit poster

Same problem for me. I have tried SQL Server 2019 Express and Developer.
    MBP M1Pro, Win11

7. AndyData

AndyData Bit poster

Did you install docker and SQL Server 2019 on macOS or on Windows in Parallels? If yes how did you do it? Please explain, you can help a lot of ppl.
    Which version are u using (Windows 10 or 11)?

8. AndyData

AndyData Bit poster

I gave up...

Now I installed SQL Server 2019 express on Google Cloud and connected to it via SSMS and works perfectly. I just wonder how much google service will be.

AbdulH7 likes this.
  9. JohnM92

JohnM92 Bit poster

Same issue here on MBP M1 Pro on Windows 11 build 22489.

10. JonZ4

JonZ4 Bit poster

I found a solution for win11. If you find the ISO for windows 10 build 21354, you can use the original solution to successfully install (run install, let it fail, download and install the update then run the install again). Once you have a successful install you can allow windows update tool to update you to windows 11. It appears SQL server stays functional after the update

11. JonZ4

JonZ4 Bit poster

see my post above and try it out. I got It working on win11 MBP M1 Max

12. AkashdeepS

AkashdeepS Bit poster

Hey is there anyone that can please upload ISO of windows 10 build 21354 . I need to install it on my Mac M1, I only had build 22000 and after that got Windows 11 and failed in both cases. I can install docker container image and use Azure Data Studio, which is fast and easy workaround but that is just basic and does not support few things which I use for SQL server agent jobs and it does not support some table triggered by internal C# code which is annoying. I am currently just connected to a windows laptop but I have to keep switching it on and restarting MSSQL server, which is bit annoying.

AbdulH7 likes this.
  13. Anton22

Anton22 Bit poster

I tried to download the ISO of the specified and other assemblies. Installing the MS SQL worked, but I could not upgrade to Windows 11. Some error with dates (?). I also could not connect to the server from macos. 1433 port is unavailable even with the firewall turned off.

AbdulH7 likes this.
  14. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

FeNix1 likes this.
  15. Justin20

Justin20 Bit poster

Hi,

Where did you find the ISO for this build? I can't find it.

16. Justin20

Justin20 Bit poster

Thank you this worked! I used this site to get this build https://uupdump.net/download.php?id...a08bbc6b&pack=en-us&edition=core;professional

thomask41 likes this.
  17. HugoV1

HugoV1 Bit poster

Thank you, this worked for me as well :) (using Windows10_InsiderPreview_Client_ARM64_en-us_21354 build)

18. sl.Liao

sl.Liao Bit poster

Device - MacBook Pro M1 MAX (2021)
    Virtual Software - Parallels Desktop 17 Standard Edition For Home & Student Use
    OS - Windows11 professional insider Preview
    SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) 18.10
    I tried to install SSMS, but failed.
    Could you help me?

19. HugoV1

HugoV1 Bit poster

When I tried to install SSMS on windows 11 it failed as well.
    I had success with the windows 10 21354 build, like the other users so you should try with this instead

20. MrTea

MrTea Bit poster

I managed to get this working by installing build 21354 but this now won't update - when using windows update it complains about date and time not being correct. Any ideas how to get past this? I've also installed tortoise svn on this build and don't get the context menus.
    Alternatively has anyone had any luck installing in Windows 11 to a VHD. I've seen this mentioned elsewhere but not been able to get it working yet myself.