Windows 11 ARM on MacOS (Parallels) stops functioning properly

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by LeventY1, Oct 18, 2021.

1. NoelS1

NoelS1 Bit poster

Hi @Monterey$ @FrankH29 after new (clean) installing windows without auto parallels configuration, everything works now with the insider preview (except activation), hope microsoft releases soon a windows 11 ARM official version. Thank you!

Monterey$ likes this.
  2. Monterey$

Monterey$ Bit poster

Did you mean you just clean installed it or did you had to do it without Secure-Boot?

3. L3tron

L3tron Bit poster

I did your solution (disable secure boot) and completely reinstall manually. After this, everything continues to work all day. This morning then started again. Same error again.
    In the BIOS Secure Boot was enabled again. Unfortunately, only disabling SecureBoot does not help again.
    I have also already performed a downgrade to 17.0.1, error remains.

4. sikei

sikei Bit poster

Hello, I have the same issue.

What do you mean by "not via the Parallels tool"? I did download the Windows Client ARM file and it seems that everything else runs on auto-pilot.

5. NoelS1

NoelS1 Bit poster

I did a clean installation (with secure boot) but not with the auto configuration from parallels (just did the whole windows setup process) and that was working. I first tried a new installation with the auto configuration from parallels, which didn't work for me.

6. sikei

sikei Bit poster

May I ask to point me to the right direction? At which step are you able to manually perform the windows setup or which flag are you setting?

7. sikei

sikei Bit poster

Found it! Will report if this works. I'm using the latest Macbook Pro 14" with M1 max.

Attached Files:

8. sikei

sikei Bit poster

@NoelS1 thank you! This helped. I can access now the settings and all other stuff as well!

9. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, thank you for sharing your troubleshooting steps. Parallels Team.

10. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we are happy that your issue has been resolved. Thanks, Parallels Team.

11. PatrikB3

PatrikB3 Bit poster

What does it mean "the whole windows setup process? After choosing between productivity and games I only can continue and just select to customize the settings before installing. And during the installlation the BIOS window opens for enabling/disabling secure boot when enabling "Select boot device" in the VM settings.

12. PatrikB3

PatrikB3 Bit poster

How can I disable the "current secure boot state"? In all the screenshots here in this thread it is disabled. Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-29 um 22.41.25.png

13. NoelS1

NoelS1 Bit poster

Update: Since i reinstalled windows manually I'm working the whole day with parallels and everything is working fine. I think theres something wrong with the parallels auto settings and the new build from the microsoft developer preview. Hope Microsoft release the ARM version soon officially.

14. L3tron

L3tron Bit poster

That was the case with me, but the next day the problem was back. I also reinstalled today and the problem comes back after every complete shutdown.

15. CarlosF6

CarlosF6 Bit poster

I have the same problem...

16. OliverG7

OliverG7 Bit poster

ok, that works for me.
    But now I have the problem that I cannot connect to the internet. Do I have to adjust something there?

17. L3tron

L3tron Bit poster

Found my problem cause: I Installed the German language Pack and set Default to it. Then the Error occurs. Switched Back to en-US everything is fine again.
    Since you cannot Open Settings you must use Powershell (administrative) to change language back:
    Set-WinSystemLocale en-US
    Set-WinUserLanguageList en-US -Force
    - REBOOT

DirkB11, HooksI, MichalH5 and 4 others like this.
  18. HaroldS1

HaroldS1 Bit poster

I did as FrankH29 suggested (turn off secure boot) but it made no difference. Neither did Windows Update. Windows is completely unusable on a M1Pro 16" MacBook. I believe the only fix for this will have to come from Parallels but they down;t seem to have any answers.

19. HaroldS1

HaroldS1 Bit poster

I should also mention that the indexing is turned off and nothing I do will turn it on. I suspect this is an issue that must be resolved before Windows will run correctly. If I right-click the start menu, some of the options work (like run) but settings does nothing. When I single click the settings icon doesn't even appear. Since indexing is off, the search menu doesn't work either.

20. NoelS1

NoelS1 Bit poster

You have to enable this during installation (see screenshot attached)

Attached Files: