Access on iPad unable to connect to remote Mac sitting on MacOS login screen

Discussion in 'Accessing your Mac' started by EngineerBill, Jul 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. EngineerBill

EngineerBill Bit poster

Parallels Access on iPad does not connect if Mac has had a power outage. In Sys Prefs the Mac is set to restart on power outage, which it does, and sits at user login screen (there are multiple user accounts on this Mac). Access on iPad is set to request Mac username and password, which it does. Then the iPad presents a spinning-spoke wheel on black background, and never connects. Request for support has been generated to Parallels, who is investigating.

Work-around discovered:
    From the iPad, I start Access to that remote Mac desktop computer (which is sitting at the MacOS user login screen), watch the iPad as the spinning spoke-wheel spins trying unsuccessfully to connect, tap "Disconnect", remove the app from the iPad's screen listing suspended apps (a double press of the iPad home button then swipe away the Access icon there), restart Access from the iPad home screen (which forces the app to login to my Parallels account again), then tap the icon for the remote Mac desktop machine. The spinning spoke-wheel shows it trying to connect, and in about a minute it does properly connect. This procedure is consistently repeatable.

2. Having the same issue with Big Sur on new Mac M1 computers. Any reboot disconnects access and when remote Mac sits on user login screen, Parallels Access can't connect. Workaround mentioned is not working.

3. MaximilienH

MaximilienH Bit poster

Same issue on my Mac Mini M1 updated to Big Sur 11.2 (which didn't solve anything). Even if I didn't reboot my Mac, if I have to re-login after a period of inactivity, Access is unable to connect.
    I have to connect with another VNC app, login, and then I can start using Access. It makes it quite useless.

4. Andy Adams

Andy Adams Bit poster

Parallels Access does not work to access M1 Macs, at least MacMini. I have had an ticket open for a couple months and there doesn't seem to be any progress. The black screen is the only thing I can see, although I can also see which applications are open, but when I switch to one of them all I get is a blank screen. I am trying alternate solutions now and at least one has the same problem. Another one seems to work so I will keep testing that.

5. JamesB38

JamesB38 Bit poster

This issue is still happening to me. Has this been resolved yet?

6. Andy Adams

Andy Adams Bit poster

No resolution yet. Access is still unusable

7. mexicali

mexicali Bit poster

Exact same issue. Except, I can access M1 Mac Mini but only if one of my displays is on/active. Defeats the point of having app if I have wake up display manually to access interface via iPad. Might as well sit at host device and work directly on Mac. Zero issue with MacBook Pro(s) while display is closed.

8. AntonL5

AntonL5 Bit poster

Still having the same issue. Quite disappointing from one of the best remote access app (previously)

9. SteveD8

SteveD8 Bit poster

Also have this same issue. Anytime no account is logged in (including after a power loss reboot), parallels can't "wake" the computer even though it is awake and sitting waiting for a user to log-in.

If I log in a user that allows parallels access, and then sleep the Mac, parallels works fine.

I agree that this bug makes parallels essentially useless if you have a power outages, so I am gong to have to cancel my subscription if this isn't fixed in the next month.....

10. NickH9

NickH9 Bit poster

I think I am having a similar issue, if my M1 iMac is in 'sleep' mode (ie locked and the display is off) then access shows my computer as offline. I have to connect with VNC, login in, wait for the access agent to 'turn on' and then I can access via the parallels access client. I can then disconnect the VNC client, which is annoying as this then locks the mac again. This work around is a pain in the backside and has to be repeated after every connection. IE if I disconnect from parallels access client, the computer locks and the screen then switches off, this in turn seems to turn off the agent again and I have to go through the whole process via VNC again.

I come from the a TeamViewer world on a PC, where no user needed to be logged in, the screen could be switched off permanently and you could still log in remotely. Ideally, I want to be able to connect to my mac, without a logged in users, and without the display showing - is this even possible with this tool, or should I save my cash and look for an alternative?

All sensible suggestions welcomed...

11. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @NickH9,
    Please refer to this KB article: https://kb.parallels.com/6571 nd reply with the ticket number so we can assist you further. Thanks, McAllen.

12. ChanyoonP

ChanyoonP Bit poster

My M1 iMac is stuck on black screen with a pinwheel when the screen is in asleep. Parallels Access wouldn't be able to wake it up and show the log-in screen when I attempted to connect from my iPad remotely. It only works when the iMac is not in sleep mode whether it's logged in or not, if the machine is in asleep, nothing can be done using Parallels Access.

13. IVANN1

IVANN1 Bit poster

Has anyone tried turning off the Encryption setting in the M1? Just wondering if that impacts connections.

14. ChanyoonP

ChanyoonP Bit poster

I do have security setting all open for third party apps and kernel extensions, which didn't help. Disk encryption (FileVault) is on but I doubt that affects in this case. my previous iMac (2018) had filevault always on and PA worked fine.

15. NickH9

NickH9 Bit poster

Hi, have raised a ticket and tried to get the chat support, but got disconnected - ticket number is 3130966

16. IVANN1

IVANN1 Bit poster

Thanks. I just find it frustrating that I'm paying for what was and should be a great and needed service but can't use it.

17. ChanyoonP

ChanyoonP Bit poster

Just found out that Access is now working with log-in screen, no longer stuck at black log-in screen with my M1 iMac. :)
    running macOS 12.2 developer beta, parallels Access 7.0.0