parallels on windows arm on new MacBook m1x

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jonnyss, Oct 18, 2021.

1. jonnyss

jonnyss Junior Member

i just ordered a new MacBook pro m1x
    1) i ordered the 32gb ram configuration because the 64 gb ram machines won't arrive til december. is that a mistake - do i need 64 mb ram? i only run one windows program, tradestation, but that program can have 200 charts open at the same time. i can cancel my order if necessary.
    2) can parallels currently run windows arms? the parallels website says yes, but someone posted today on another thread that windows programs only work on intel chip macs.
    3) i currently have on my intel MacBook pro windows 10 on a parallels standard 1 year subscription i purchased in august. will both migrate to my new MacBook pro automatically as i do my transfer-to-new-machine? and then i download windows arm? or do i somehow block transfer of windows 10 on parallels and install on the new machine?
    4) is it possible to have tech support walk me through the installation? i am willing to pay extra
    thanks

2. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, we would like to inform that only ARM based guest OS is supported on Mac M1 machine. You won't be able to run any Intel based Windows on M1 machine. Thanks, Parallels Team.

3. jonnyss

jonnyss Junior Member

hi - i asked "can parallels run windows arm." you replied arm is supported and windows is not. sorry, but i don't understand your reply. the parallels article from 10-17-21 https://www.parallels.com/blogs/windows-11-tpm/ says windows arm IS supported, but the user forum keeps saying it is not. thanks, john

4. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello jonnyss, Yes, you can install windows 11 ARM insider preview on the M1 chip Mac. Please refer to this KB article: http://kb.parallels.com/125375 .

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2021
  5. jonnyss

jonnyss Junior Member

i have my new MacBook pro. if i understand correctly, windows arm won't download to windows 10, so i believe i have to upgrade my windows 10 to 11 on my intel machine before transferring my data to the new m1x machine. how do i do that? when i go to settings--->windows update, i do not see upgrade to windows 11. i do see "get ready for windows 11; to see if this pc can run windows 11, check the hardware requirements." clicking that gets only "we're working on it."
    second, how do i transfer my intel windows environment to the windows 11 arm environment on the new computer.
    thanks

6. AndreasK37

AndreasK37 Bit poster

Hi, I have installed Windows Client ARM64 Insider Preview - Build 22483 in my new Macbook Pro 14" with M1 Pro chip using parallels
    Version 17.1.0 (51516) and macos 12.0.1 (21A559).
    Windows 11 is really buggy, I cannot use the start button and the search, settings doesnt load properly. Is there a workaround or will we have to wait for a fix from parallels?
    A reinstallation didnt help at all.

ronaldok likes this.
  7. jonnyss

jonnyss Junior Member

hi - no guidance from the forum, no response to a tech support request.
    so i gave up and bought a new copy of parallels and installed in on this new MacBook pro. i have windows 11 arm up and running.
    the - do you call it a desktop in windows? - contains all the files that are on my mac desktop (sorry, i still have to file away all those automatically downloaded pdf's) and i can't see my several windows programs. i can find them with a spotlight search, but that's cumbersome. i can't keep them in the dock, and can't see them in the windows environment. is there any way to get rid of this blended view that has all my mac items and see just the windows programs in the windows 11 window? thanks

8. MarkC56

MarkC56 Bit poster

Go to Parallel's "Configure" menu, then to "Sharing", then either uncheck "Share Mac User Folders" to stop sharing all, or go into "Configure" under that checkbox and uncheck "Desktop" to stop sharing just the desktop (and any other individual locations you don't want to share).

9. jonnyss

jonnyss Junior Member

hi mark -
    thanks so much for your suggestion.
    but where do i find parallels' configure menu?
    i see at the top left the following dropdown menus: apple, parallels, file, edit, view, window, help.
    none of these has configure as one of the dropdown choices.
    i find preferences in the parallels dropdown menu, but that doesn't have configure as an option, either.
    the parallels toolbox dropdown menu has a choice of "hide desktop icons," but that hides all the files and folders from my mac desktop, too, whereas i just want to keep the mac files off the windows 11 desktop since windows seems not to have a dock or comparable
    may i ask you the favor of writing here the complete path to configure?
    thanks,
    john

10. MarkC56

MarkC56 Bit poster

There should be a Parallels icon on the top of the Mac in the menubar area. It is under this icon where Configure is found. You need to be running Windows for the Configuration option to be present.

11. jonnyss

jonnyss Junior Member

yay! that works. thank so much.

12. MarkC56

MarkC56 Bit poster

You're welcome. I'm also new to Parallels, and that drove me nuts too. Took me a while to figure it out.

13. jonnyss

jonnyss Junior Member

hi mark - have you figured out whether we need a key? took me forever to install the microsoft store app, and the only option it gives me is "buy windows 10/11 pro upgrade to workstation" for $199. i'm not sure if i even need a key if i'm just running on windows program without any of the personalization extras. do you happen to know? thanks, john

14. MarkC56

MarkC56 Bit poster