Cannot Install New Windows on M1 Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RickK1, Nov 2, 2021.

1. RickK1

RickK1 Member

I am helping a client that has an M1 Mac and wants to install a "new" Windows instance using Parallels 17. However, since this is not a Windows upgrade, he doesn't have a license key.
    We were able to install a 'free' version of Windows 11, but since we didn't have a license key, it wouldn't install the Microsoft Store (which would allow him to actually buy a license).
    He purchased a Windows 10 license from Microsoft, but the download image is Intel-based, so Parallels won't accept it.
    How do we get around this????

2. PatrickJ

PatrickJ Member

The license key for Windows 10 *should* activate the 11 installation.

(I haven't used M1 but Win10->Win11 x64 works this way)

3. RickK1

RickK1 Member

Thanks, Patrickj, but regrettably that didn't work. When we attempted to activate the W11 instance within Parallels, Microsoft said that the 25-character key code we entered wasn't valid.

We are struggling because:
    * We cannot seem to 'buy' a Windows 11 license (activation key)
    * The W11 instance within Parallels doesn't enable the Microsoft Store (which apparently is needed to 'buy' a license - totally insane)
    * We cannot find a way to download an ARM-based version of Windows 10 (necessary for M1 Macs), so we can't install W10 within Parallels.

We are currently running the W11 "non-active" instance within Parallels, and it seems to be working fine. We just don't know how long Microsoft will allow it to run.
    VERY frustrating.

4. stage_fright

stage_fright Bit poster

5. RickK1

RickK1 Member

Thanks, IsaacA3. Yeah, I figured out the same thing, and earlier today we installed the Microsoft Store and then were able to purchase Windows 11 Pro (the 'Home' version would have worked as well, but it wasn't an option).

I hope Parallels can address this issue for future users installing a new Windows 11 instance (vs. upgrading an existing VM).
    Thanks again.

6. JeanN2

JeanN2 Bit poster

I have installed the Microsoft Store, but searching for 'Windows 11' does not show anything useful. What should I be looking for?

Thanks.

7. JeanN2

JeanN2 Bit poster

Ok, I was able to see it in the store by following the link in Settings -> Activation. It's offering to sell me a Windows Pro 10/11 for $199 (Cdn). Is this what you used?
    Thanks.

8. RickK1

RickK1 Member

Yes. I would have preferred to have installed Microsoft Home (less costly), but wasn't given that option.
    We were considering just running with the 'un-activated' Windows 11 and wait for it to stop working before purchasing an activation key (since everything we wanted to run was working fine), but we didn't want to take the chance.

JeanN2 likes this.
  9. JasonB43

JasonB43 Bit poster

Sorry guys, a bit confused here.
    I have purchased Parallels 17, have attempted [numerous times] to download Windows 11 on ARM for my new macbook pro with m1 chip [not working], then purchased Windows 10 Pro from Windows with a new key and tried installing [kept saying I had no OS] and am having no success getting anything to work.

Once I do get the ARM VHDX file downloaded, I then cannot get any of the windows apps to work [i.e., sTArt menu]. super frustrating.

Any insight, tips, help, step by step you can provide would be most excellent.

10. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please perform the steps mentioned in https://kb.parallels.com/125375 for installing Windows 11 on your Mac. Thanks, Parallels Team.