Xbox bluetooth controller

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ColinM12, Nov 2, 2021.

1. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

I followed the instructions to get the controller paired, and Windows 11 says it's paired, but Steam and other apps don't recognize it as connected.
    What else do I need to do?

2. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

Is OS X supposed to be paired as well? Monterey seems to auto-pair when bluetooth devices are in pairing mode nearby. So is it "stealing" the pairing from Parallels? Or do I pair with OS X first, and it should show up in Parallels? Problem is I can't see what Parallels thinks are connected bluetooth devices, only USB.

3. GabeZs

GabeZs Member

Hello Collin,
    I think I have a workaround, and I bet our configs are near identical. It's not perfect option, but it's workable.

My Config
    Mac Pro M1 13 inch
    Monterey
    Windows 11 ARM
    Xbox One Controller (Bluetooth Model)

What didn't work
    • Using Parallels version 17.1.0 and testing with the following
      • Pairing an xbox one controller with bluetooth or using a USB cable (For the record, you don't have to pair in both Mac OS and the VM. You can just pair in the VM and it will also show up in Mac OS)
      • Using an xbox wireless adapter
      • Using a wired xbox 360 controller
      • Using an 8bitdo controller with bluetooth
      • Using a. Steelseries Nimbus with bluetooth
    What does work that I could test for now
    • Using Parallels version 17.0.1 (https://kb.parallels.com/en/128608)(Don't forget to let it update Parallel Tools and maybe restart the Mac afterwards)
      • Xbox One bluetooth controller with USB cable only.
      • Xbox 360 controller with USB cable only

GarrettB5 and ColinM12 like this.
  4. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

That fixed it for now, never thought of using a USB cable. Sucks that it can't do wireless, but maybe that'll be in the next update.
    iMac M1 24" 2021
    Monterey 12.0.1
    Parallels 17.0.1
    Windows 11 ARM 22494
    XBox One Controller (Bluetooth 1708) with USB cable connected
    Steam

5. GabeZs

GabeZs Member

I honestly thought that the xbox wireless receiver for PC would work with venison 17.0.1. However, it seems to be missing a driver that isn't easily remedied. I think it will be a while before they get the bluetooth issue sorted out. Based on my research and understanding, it was fickle even when it worked. In many Parallel KB's, their answer was to pair your controller each time you intended to you use it, and if that didn't work, reboot and try again. Seems like maybe bluetooth is more trouble than it's worth. I think the better solution is to get the xbox wireless receiver for PC working.

ColinM12 likes this.