IP address keeps changing after reboot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacPaq, Nov 21, 2007.

1. MacPaq

MacPaq Junior Member

What is wrong with Parallels?

I have Parallels on Leopard. Windows XP Pro as guest. The Network adapter for Windows is Sharing as recommended and in Windows XP, the network adapter is configured using DHCP. In the Mac System Preferences->, the IP address was 10.211.55.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0. But after I reboot the Mac, the IP address in the Mac System Preferences->Network changeds to a different IP address, something like 169.254.159.158 with the mask 255.255.0.0. and it says this "Parallels NAT has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect". What the hell is going on? My XP can't go on to the internet! I spend lot of time trying to figure out to no avail, can someone please help.

I really regret buying Parallels, it's a waste of time and money, so tired of it. Should have gone for VMWare Fusion instead.

2. NewMac

NewMac Junior Member

I had a similar problem and fixed it by doing this. Open your VM configurator, scroll down to Network adapter and delete it. Close down configurator and then reopen. Choose add and select network adapter and let paralels do what it needs to do. Since doing this I have had no more problems. I am running Leopard, Parallels 5160 and a WinXP VM that has gone through 2 MacOS upgrades and being moved from one computer to another and is still going strong.

3. MacPaq

MacPaq Junior Member

Hi NewMac,

Thanks for the reply. Are you sure that fixed your problem? I did that and it didn't help. I tried many different ways as well. The only time I get the working IP is to uninstall Parallels then reinstall it again. In the Preferences->Network Parallels Guest has IP address 10.37.129.2 and Parallels->Nat has 10.211.55.2. In the VM(the XP guest) the adaptoer is Sheared and in XP, Network is set to use DHCP. Everything works fine. Then once reboot, I got this "Parallels NAT has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect" crap with some random IP.

I don't recall I had this problem when I was using the trial in OS X 10.8.10. That's why I bought it. I am going to ask Parallels for a refund today and get VMware Fusion instead.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  4. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

if it is Parallels NAT, you can try to restart it - open it, configure it off, apply changes and then enable it again.
    This issue is Mac-related: the problem is that it can't detect and DHCP Server and gets an automatic IP.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  5. MacPaq

MacPaq Junior Member

Hi Alicia,

Thanks for the reply.

One question, howcome VMware Fusion doesn't have this issue if the problem is on the Mac OS?

6. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I mean that DCHP Server is not seen by Mac, not by Parallels.
    We're aware of this issue and are trying to fix it. For now restart of NAT can be a solution. Did you do it?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

7. iBecks

iBecks Junior Member

I have the same problem and went through different options with the support guys.

They could not resolve it and said that it was a problem with parallels and that they are working on a fix.

8. MacPaq

MacPaq Junior Member

Hi,

Alicia: I tried your method, it doesn't help.

ibecks: Very frustrating, isn't ?

9. badsandwich

badsandwich Member

just want to throw my oar in too- this started happening to me today, so i don't really know what may have caused it. anyway, my workaround was to switch to bridged networking. so far, so good with that.

10. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

Also, another temp resolution would be to set a static IP address for now.

11. young-ster

young-ster Bit poster

Solution

haha .. ok peeps .. the key is to make sure your parallels screen is minimize and not full screen .. after which at the bottom you should see the network logo . the one that looks like a circle with patterns . click on it . you should be able to choose your ethernet or wifi depending on which you are on at the time . Select either one instead of default and you should be there ..

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

young-ster, that's not a solution, it's an alternative method. What you did was set-up bridged networking, these people are trying to use Shared Networking.

13. A1phaGeek

A1phaGeek Bit poster

It worked for me.

I'm not sure, but most of the posters here probably just need to get their windows boot to go online.

Personally this worked for me.

I am not a stickler about the method, but I would rather not have to keep re-booting into my bootcamp partition to get my work done.

Shared connection (although I did not know this was the method until today) worked until today, then for an unknown reason, it stopped. Yes I would like to know why, and have Parallels or Apple fix the bug, but most important, I would like to keep working online from both side when necessary.

So thanks young-ster for posting the "work around". It worked for me.

14. leeann

leeann Bit poster

It's a known issue with the 'new and improved' Mac firewall. Try turning off firewall temporarily, reinstall Parallels and see if that fixes your issue.

If it does, then install something like DoorStopX instead. Parallels works fine with that.

15. yatinbhatt

yatinbhatt Bit poster

I use parallels since 6-8 months and never faced this issue ... currently 5582 with Leopard and still no issues ...

May be try to do a clean install and see if that helps ... good luck

16. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

A1phaGeek,
    Glad changing your method worked for you. It just has a pretty serious implications in terms of networking if you have anything complex going on. Hence the reason I point it out.

17. A1phaGeek

A1phaGeek Bit poster

Eru Ithildur,

Now, that I have learned about the difference, I can see how for many users, one or the other of the connection methods might be necessary. In a funny way I am glad to have had this happen. I made me look at the guts of parallels a bit more, and now I have a better understanding of how/why the networking does what it does. I'm sure this will prove useful for my client interactions at some point in the future.

Luckily, for my own needs, I just needed outgoing networking access to run a few windows only network admin apps. So, the type of connectivity was irrelevant.

Thanks for pointing out the difference. It is always good to learn more about the tech we are using.

18. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

A1phaGeek,

Glad you figured out the difference. This program has a lot of implications here and there, as does any good piece of software with complexity of this sort, once you take the time to learn it, the possibilities of the different configurations are really quite robust. The forthcoming Parallels Server is going to take another step towards robustness, the feature-set is the area that Parallels really has Fusion beat.