Apple M1 Since update of Parallels Desktop 17.1 USB gamepad recognized but not working in Windows 11

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by GeoffreyC2, Oct 16, 2021.

1. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

Which game? So far Steam won't recognize it, and neither will the website that you can use to test gamepads.

2. PatrickS33

PatrickS33 Bit poster

I've tried this - while I no longer get the error when connecting an Xbox controller via USB, the input is still not recognized in the VM

3. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

it is an Xbox game called Hydro Hurricane that I purchased a while ago just to test out an xbox game - to see if it would run under Windows 10 ARM using Parallels.
    Have not tried anything else - Steam or otherwise - with the gamepad as most of my preferred games use mouse and keyboard.

4. PatrickS33

PatrickS33 Bit poster

Key thing to highlight is that you tested on Win10 ARM. I believe folks here are trying to get things running with a Win11 ARM image.

5. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

Tried that with latest Windows 11 ARM didn't help, XBox Bluetooth still doesn't get recognized by Steam nor any other app. Settings are set to share bluetooth between OSs, and Windows 11 does seem to recognize that there's a virtual bluetooth game controller device attached.

6. ColinM12

ColinM12 Bit poster

Temporary solution for me seems to be downgrade to Parallels 17.0.1 and use a USB cable.

MikeS39 likes this.
  7. GabeZs

GabeZs Member

I think there's.a few issues contributing to the problem. The first being that that version 17.1.0 changed something on USB. Monterey also seems to have broken some things, as even Crossover doesn't have xbox controller support right now. Additionally, there's a driver problem in version in version 17.1.0. Anytime you get asked for a pin number while pairing, and then you see a fail, that means there's a driver issue (at least in this scenario).

8. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

No I tested it again - after someone here requested that I do - on Window 11 ARM. I purchased it when I still had Windows 10 ARM installed just to see if an xbox game would run.

9. GeoffreyC2

GeoffreyC2 Junior Member

10. GarrettB5

GarrettB5 Junior Member

Came here to confirm the problem for Win11 ARM on macOS Monterey. Have only tested bluetooth (not USB) but the controller pairs to macOS very quickly. After removing and attempting to pair in Windows, it asks for a PIN, then fails, but it's actually connected itself back to macOS.

11. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

This is what I have found. It will connect easily (via Bluetooth) to macOS Monterey and work. It will not switch or share via Parallels 17.1.0 (51516) to the Windows 11 ARM VM. If I disconnect it from Monterey BEFORE starting Parallels and the VM, it will not connect or ask for a passcode which I then put in either 0000 or 1234 and it sometimes will connect but not pair and then reconnect to MacOS. But never get it to properly connect/pair/WORK in Windows 11.

12. GarrettB5

GarrettB5 Junior Member

Btw I have the 8bitdo BT adapter (USB-A) and everything works flawlessly with that. So in short, USB passthrough works great, BT passthrough doesn't work at all.

13. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

Does that adapter work with Xbox controllers because they only list Playstation and a few others but not any xbox ones.

14. GarrettB5

GarrettB5 Junior Member

Couldn't tell you first hand; I have the original Xbox one and those controllers aren't BT enabled. But from other forums I'm on I can say probably. There's also an official Microsoft adapter but I can't speak to that at all.

15. GabeZs

GabeZs Member

@SWANDY - I just bought one and updated the adapter to lastest firmware. An Xbox controller does pair but parallels bugs out. The controller starts to vibrate every few seconds and parallels alternates between 8bitdo and pro controller. It never actually works. What does work is pairing a PS3 controller with much headache. Unless you have a PS3 controller and a windows machine to use the PS3 paid utility, don't bother.

@GarretB5 and @SWANDY- the Xbox adapter is detected as Xbox ACC and doesn't have a driver. The old school technique of pulling the driver from the windows catalog fails. There is no solution so this is a don't bother as well.

16. GabeZs

GabeZs Member

That was supposed to say "PS3 pair utility".

17. GarrettB5

GarrettB5 Junior Member

@GabeZs a note on that firmware. I was having a world of problems connecting to various devices on newer firmware. After a lot of troubleshooting, I landed on v1.32 being the most stable/versatile, and I don't plan on updating past that.

18. GabeZs

GabeZs Member

I did try firmware 1.32 and even back to 1.30. For clarity sake, pairing the Xbox one controller is fine. The problem is attempting to use it in parallels. That's where you'll see the buggy alternating between 8bitdo and pro controller. And it never works in the end. Sometimes the USB pass through briefly shows up, but then goes away as parallels fights between what it thinks is a pro controller and the adapter itself. It's honestly a loss cause unless you go with a PS3 controller, which seems to work proper. Although it should be noted that I haven't attempted to remap the buttons with the ultimate software.

GarrettB5 likes this.
  19. GarrettB5

GarrettB5 Junior Member

I get the feeling that you troubleshoot as deeply as I do, so this is for any future person reading more than for you, but the adapter emulates different input modes itself. Instructions for changing inputs using various controllers are here. X-input is the cleanest for us Xbox users, but I find that D-input usually causes the least trouble.

20. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I don't play many games on Windows that require controllers (actually right now not playing many at all - really wanted Diablo II Resurrected - oh well - and finally got the original Diablo 2 to run). Might try to locate the USB cord that came with my Xbox Controller and see if it will work then - but haven't looked for it for quite a while as the BT always worked on the Mac side (for games that read the inputs properly) and I have rechargeable batteries. Thanks for trying guys.