Support for USB/serial adapter (like keyspan USA-19H)

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by fabriceg, Apr 30, 2006.

1. fabriceg

fabriceg Bit poster

I will be great if these kind of adpaters can be supported in Parallels workstation !

An USB issue ?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

fabriceg,
    there are already 2 ways to use Usb-Serial adapter:
    1) Attach it to the guest system as a USB device and install drivers inside your guest (i was able to do that since beta6)
    2) Use a very handy app from Craig Altenburg (http://eudyptes.com/SerialClient.php) to map pipe-based serial port of Parallels Workstation to the hardware device in OSX

BR.

3. fabriceg

fabriceg Bit poster

That's I already done!

And when I am using the Keyspan USB serial Adapter Assistant, "Test This Port" failled.
    When booting with WinXP (bootcamp) it works.

that's mean I had to install MacOS X drivers. But I do not need it in OS X… but I would try.

4. fabriceg

fabriceg Bit poster

Well, SerialClient should be ok, but… not. The client app do not see any data (I have tested many many settings).

I think the best way is USB improvement in ParallelsWorkstation. It must work! Booting in winXP works, so why not with vm ?

5. lscline

lscline Junior Member

I have a Keyspan USA-19H as well, and I am unable to install it in the guest in beta6. I get the same "in use by another device" popup each time I try, and the adapter is unavailable. Same behavior as in beta5. What is the trick for doing this?

Thanks.. This is critical for at least two of the applications I need to run on Windows.

6. fabriceg

fabriceg Bit poster

It means that you have Mac OS X driver installed, so it can not be used by vm. You have to uninstall Mac OS X Keyspan driver first.

7. lscline

lscline Junior Member

I would rather not do that, since I use the Keyspan for a Mac application as well.

8. lscline

lscline Junior Member

The serial client app doesn't appear to work for my application either.

9. fabriceg

fabriceg Bit poster

You should try. After this (successfull) try, reinstall it… 30 seconds! :p

10. lscline

lscline Junior Member

I did try it, and got exactly the same behavior as you were seeing ("Test this port" failure) in the windows guest. Very frustrating..

11. fabriceg

fabriceg Bit poster

Yes, very frustating :(

Did you try "SerialClient" too? It seems it can work, maybe you will be able to work with it?

12. eudyptes

eudyptes Junior Member

I put up a new version (0.6) of SerialClient that fixes some logging problems.

I've been using SerailClient to talk to a Atmel STK500 (I wrote it to capture the protocol to assist me in writing a Mac program to drive the STK500 directly).

It also seems to work fine with a loopback on the RS-232 adapter I use. (Keyspan USA-19HS)

If you've tried it and had problems please drop me a quick e-mail and I'll try to resolve the issue.

qeygh (a) mac • com

Added: The drivers that come with the USA-19HS do not work with Intel Macs. You must download the beta drivers from the Keyspan site.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  13. fabriceg

fabriceg Bit poster

Thank you very much Eudyptes, I have just send you an email.

14. fabriceg

fabriceg Bit poster

Hi there, I have just install he Release Candidate. Well, my keyspan usb/serial does not work at all now. It says that it is in use by another device —that's not true (I suppose so). The Mac drivers for keyspan are unsintalled, after I've tried (unsuccessfully) again SerialClient.

It is very frustrating :( Any ideas?

Best,

Fabrice

15. lscline

lscline Junior Member

Interestingly, I also just installed the RC, and my keyspan adapter now works. It shows a port in serial assistant and I was able to use it with my application. I do not have it installed on the Mac side, but it does show up in the USB parallels menu, where I activated it.

16. rich_w

rich_w Member

have you actually tried to use it? Mine shows up but doesn't work...not with SerialClient either. :confused:

17. lscline

lscline Junior Member

Yes, as I mentioned, I was able to use it with my application. Hardware is a Suunto dive computer and software is Suunto Dive Manager. I was able to download my dive data and the application recognized the dive computer on COM 3.

18. rich_w

rich_w Member

are you using the keyspan assistant in OS X or WinXp? Could you describe your setup in detail...I'm desperate to get this working.

19. lscline

lscline Junior Member

I am using the keyspan assistant in WinXP. Here's what I did -
    Installed the keyspan package on the Mac. Brought up the keyspan assistant on the Mac and uninstalled the drivers (but did not uninstall the keyspan assistant app). Reboot the Mac. Brought up Parallels and boot XP. Logged in. Went to the Parallels devices menu and enabled the USB keyspan device. Brought up the keyspan assistant, and was able to see the COM port.

Hope this helps. For some reason, it was necessary after uninstalling the drivers on the mac to reboot the mac before bringing up parallels.

20. lscline

lscline Junior Member

Well, unfortunately, I have to retract my claim that I had this working. Yes, it did work, but it seems to be intermittent, and now is not working at all. I'm getting the same "device in use" crud. Ah well.