Parallels update for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacPaq, Nov 22, 2007.

1. MacPaq

MacPaq Junior Member

Is Parallels going to have an update fix for Leopard or not?

I am sick and tired of the network issue. Parallels not only wasted my money, but my valuable time. I am going to ask for my money back and get something that works--VMware Fusion.

2. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm sorry for giving you troubles. We are working on Parallels Desktop 3.2 update for Leopard. It will be available within next few weeks. You can try to use our 3.2 beta for now.

Best regards,
    Alexander

3. hbg

hbg Member

Where do you get this beta as I cannot find it on the parallels site?

4. MacPaq

MacPaq Junior Member

Yea, where is it??? I searched the Parallels site as well as googled for it, it's nowhere to be found. So far Parallels for Mac is nothing but a headache for me.

5. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

6. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

7. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

A beta isn't the same thing as an update and certainly not necessarily a fix. And it's not supported, so if you opt to install it beware of the problems you may face.

8. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Alex,
    I am a long time Parallels user and I must say I am a little concern about your QA process. You seem to rely on beta users to do QA for you. It is understandable for all those Windows applications that you might not have available for compatibility testing. But Leopard runs on only one platform - Mac, and there is only one version of Leopard, not six like Vista. Also, Apple has made Leopard available to all developers long before it was released. So how can you miss so many compatibility bugs so fundamental to Parallels' success. Do you have dedicated QA team?

9. lethal

lethal Bit poster

What I was told...

was:

Thank you for using Parallels Desktop for Mac (http://www.parallels.com/
    en/products/desktop/)!

Our patch for Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0 in Leopard is expected to
    be released in November, 2007.

Should you have further questions, we will be always at your service to
    clear up the point.

---
    Thank you

Best regards,
    Alice

========================================================

But I was not sure that they got my point - they seem to be making a new release (3.2) rather than patching 3.0 to work. I don't want beta versions - I don't want new features. I want an update to 3.0 that is stable.

10. Boatguy

Boatguy Junior Member

Official Statement

I've held off updating to Leopard due to the extensive list of issues and problems. At the same time, I'm not happy with 5160 and Tiger because I keep getting this video memory error. So 5160 does not work reliably with Tiger or Leopard. These problems have persisted for quite awhile. I love the Parallels functionality, but it needs to be reliable.

I'd like to see an official statement regarding what is going to be fixed when. In the absence of that, I get this feeling that the software is really not under anyone's control; nobody quite knows why it isn't working and thus can't commit to when it might work correctly. All of that tells me to go buy a copy of Fusion. If I try it, and it works, I won't be coming back soon.

Please give us a straight and thorough answer to the resolution of the problems in 5160 under both Tiger and Leopard.

Thank you.

11. zmonster

zmonster Member

Loyal customer upset

As a software developer myself, I am quite upset that Parallels didn't have a Leopard version available IMMEDIATELY after the Leopard release. This is what the Apple developer program is for -- to allow companies that run Mac applications access to developer builds of OS X MONTHS before the release. Parallels should have been working on perfecting the Leopard version for the last 3 months, at least. If you don't have enough funds to support this type of development, then charge more for Parallels and hire the right people. I am not trying to be negative here, but this is ridiculous. I went from a fairly well functioning Windows environment to something that doesn't work at all for me under Leopard. This is severely hurting my work efforts. Please release a Leopard version asap. Thank you.

12. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Please explain this to Adobe who charge $$$HOW_MUCH!?? for CS3 and still didn't have a 100% Leopard-compatible version at launch.

Tricky, since it looks like the punters queueing outside the Apple store got the final release of Leopard before the developers. If you are a software developer you'll know how much work is involved in testing software and how you need to re-test after every significant change. There's not a lot of doing that final test until you have the gold master OS - especially for a fairly low-level bit of software like Parallels.

13. lethal

lethal Bit poster

uh huh

I've lost faith too.

I think the focus has been on new features - and not on Leopard compatibility.
    As I asked support - was it not possible to maintain two branches of code - one a patch to make the existing 3.0 product leopard compatible and another for 3.2 functionality?

I certainly know this is how we develop applications - and most companies do.

While I understand the final release was timed to developers at the same time - access to developer seeds for many months should have provided a fairly solid basis for patch development.

As for testing.... I am not sure Parallels does much... it mostly seems a long, long series of ever-ending betas. As I said before - I don't want beta versions. I don't want new features.
    I want the same feature set - but actually working in Leopard.

Please save the new features for a later release. Trying to do too many changes will slow the release down. I don't like throwing money away... but Fusions is Leopard ready.

14. drgoodtymes

drgoodtymes Junior Member

Aside from all the leopard problems, the one thing that gets me about Parallels is that they have been out a lot longer than Fusion, however Parallels still doesn't offer great USB support. From Day one of my trial with Fusion I have been able to connect my blackberry to my guest os using Fusion, with zero problems. I have yet to see this work with Parallels, or even them addressing they are trying to fix the issue. Isn't one of the points of using this type of application to not have to reboot into the guest os, but yet to launch it within Mac Os and have everything work?

15. iBecks

iBecks Junior Member

If it is that severe, revert back to Tiger.

16. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Zero problems with USB devices here, on several different types of machines. Probably a config hang-up.

17. drgoodtymes

drgoodtymes Junior Member

I have never been able to get my blackberry to connect and stay connected in parallels.

Any suggestions?

18. jezter

jezter Bit poster

Paid for upgrade to 3.0 in order to use Leopard!!!

Yes this sucks no doubt. I've spent the last week trying to get 3.0 to connect to the internet. I was relatively happy with 2.0 and saw no need to update until my upgrade to Leopard forced me to fork out the $49. Then I waste a week trying to get it to work!
    I'd like my money back and use it to buy something that does work!

19. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

drgoodtymes, start a thread that describes the problem and the steps you have tried and pm me the link. I don't want to hijack this thread.

20. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

What dkp speaks is certainty true.