How can I add free space to the C: drive of a VM?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JoelH1, Apr 25, 2021.

1. JoelH1

JoelH1 Member

I need to repair the Windows in a VM. M$ has a utility to fix it, but it requires 8GB of free space. I have already "cleaned" the disk of extraneous files, and I have increased the size of the virtual disk, but nothing seems to increase the free space on the C: drive.

Any advice? Thanks!

2. codiant

codiant Member

Procedure
    1. Select Window > Virtual Machine Library.
    2. Select a virtual machine in the Virtual Machine Library window and click Settings.
    3. In the Settings window, click the hard disk you want to resize.
    4. Use the Disk size slider to set the new size.

3. JoelH1

JoelH1 Member

I did that, and have increased the size of he permitted VM considerably. But it didn't have any effect on the free space on C: (boot drive within the VM)

4. DavidT51

DavidT51 Bit poster

When I increased the hard disk size of my Windows 10 VM in Settings and then ran my virtual machine, another volume had been created with that extra space, which I then had to format in Windows and assign it a separate letter. I too want to increase the size of the c: drive itself, not add a second volume. How can one do that?

5. MatthewH18

MatthewH18 Junior Member

Same problem. I increased the size via "windows 11 configuration". It showed the desired size there of 800gb. after starting windows, the OS reports 255gb. and I can't copy large files to it or download large games. not enough disk space.

6. MatthewH18

MatthewH18 Junior Member

Update: SUCCESS! I see from the article posted in this thread that my efforts to increase the size of C: just resulted in adding an unassigned partition to the drive, rather than expanding the existing partition. I followed the directions in the article using the Command Prompt and was able to delete the offending partition (Named "reserved" in my case) and expand c: up to the full 800gb