How is windows on Parallels on M1 MacBooks

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidW72, Nov 17, 2021.

1. DavidW72

DavidW72 Junior Member

Hey! I am going to buy one of the MacBook that are rumored to release today but sometimes I need windows for some programs that I need for my career. I am studying mechanical engineering, so how it works? And what are your experience?
    Thanks

2. DavidW72

DavidW72 Junior Member

Download and install Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac.
    Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac is the official version of Parallels for macOS users. The app is universal, meaning that it will work with both Intel and Apple Silicon-based Mac systems.
    Unlike the Parallels Technical Preview, which we showcased late last year, Parallels 16 for Mac has eliminated many of the bugs and issues that were featured on the preview. In other words, installing Windows on an M1 Mac is about as straightforward and as simple as it gets.

Register as a Windows Insider.
    You'll need to register as a Windows Insider before you'll be allowed to download the Windows 10 on ARM Insider Preview.

Download Windows 10 on ARM Insider Preview.

Windows 10 for ARM-based machines like the M1 MacBook, MacBook Air, Mac mini, and newly launched iMac, can be downloaded via Microsoft's website. Keep in mind that you'll need to be logged in as a Windows Insider in order to facilitate the download.
    Configure Windows 10 using Parallels Installation Assistant.

Once you have Windows 10 on ARM Insider Preview downloaded to your Mac, open Parallels to configure your Windows 10 installation.
    • Click Continue on the Install on ARM window.
    • On the Create New window, click Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file.
    Parallels will automatically search out the Windows install image on the Select Installation Image window. If it finds the Windows 10 .VHDX file that you downloaded in Step 3, click Continue. Otherwise, click the Choose Manually button.
    • If choosing manually, drag the Windows 10 VHDX image file to the Select Installation Image window and click Continue.
    • Select Productivity on the "I will primarily use Windows for" screen and click Continue omegleshagle.
    • On the Name and Location window, the Name and Save to location should be pre-populated - you can customize these options if you'd like, but I generally recommend keeping them as is.
    • Uncheck the Create alias on Mac desktop option.
    • Check Customize settings before installation.
    • Click Create.
    Parallels Installation Assistant will now create the virtual machine, which will take a few seconds. Eventually the Configuration window will appear, allowing you to customize the amount of memory and CPU cores allocated to the virtual machine azarchatrandom.
    • Click the Hardware tab.
    • Adjust the processors and memory settings. If you have an M1 Mac, which has an 8-core CPU, I recommend allocating 4 cores. If you have 8GB of memory on your machine, I recommend allocating 4096 MB of memory. If you have 16GB of memory on your machine, I recommend allocating 8192 MB of memory.
    • Close the Configuration window once you've settled on the processor and memory allocation.
    Install Windows 10.
    • Click continue on the Virtual Machine Configuration page to commence the Windows 10 installation on your M1 Mac.
    Sign in to your Parallels account.
    Once the installation is completed, you'll be presented with an Installation Complete message. Click on the message to continue. You'll need to sign in to your Parallels account in order to proceed. If you don't already have a Parallels account, you'll need to create one.