MBP M1 Max with Dragon Medical One

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by WilliamR16, Nov 21, 2021.

1. WilliamR16

WilliamR16 Bit poster

I use Dragon Medical One for dictation and currently utilize an inexpensive PC laptop just for that purpose...everything else is Mac. I have never used Parallels before. I am awaiting delivery of a 16" MBP M1 Max 10 core CPU, 32 core GPU, 64GB RAM. Will this configuration run Dragon Medical One? Should I use windows 10 or 11? I would really like to reduce the number of laptops I carry! Depending on shipping status, I have 2-3 weeks left for delivery. Thanks

2. GabeZs

GabeZs Member

Hello,
    Currently, only Windows 11 ARM is available and being updated. Windows 10 ARM is no more unless you build it yourself (definitely not recommended for your purpose and use case). Nuance has mentioned that they have no interest in supporting Windows ARM, so if it does happen to work, it will be emulated like everything else 64 bit. I think it's worth trying out, but I wouldn't buy parallels right away. I would test it with the initial trial and make sure it works as expected (riding out the trial until your absolutely sure)
    It's important to note that if you really are using this for a medical profession, whether or not it happens to work, the security of the OS is not guaranteed. It is insider and constantly changing. You would be using it at your own risk.

3. GabeZs

GabeZs Member

I would also like to mention that if your using a USB mic or headset, there's currently a problem with USB redirection (meaning any USB device plugged in). They currently have everyone downgrading to version 17.0.1 as a temporary work around . So if you find that your having trouble, instal version 17.0.1 at this link and give it another try:

(install this only after trying the current release and just install it over the top)
    https://kb.parallels.com/en/128608

4. WilliamR16

WilliamR16 Bit poster

When you say "security of the OS is not guaranteed", do you mean the Windows 11 ARM running on Parallels? I thought Win11 ARM was obtained and updated thru Microsoft. Or are you referring to Parallels?

I am concerned about the seemingly double jeopardy that Parallels has to create patches or updates every time either MacOS or Windows changes...could create a lot of downtime. As for the mic, while I would prefer to use the USB PowerMic, I can always utilize the iPhone option. Thanks for the insight....