Core Audio Driver causes macOS Monterey to crash

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Mac' started by mfan2001, Nov 21, 2021.

1. mfan2001

mfan2001 Bit poster

I was asked to install a new driver when I attempted to use Screen Recorder widget for the first time with default system audio output as sound source. I started seeing a new process called "Core Audio Driver (ParallelsToolboxAudio.driver)" in the Activity Monitor. Two things started happening:
    1. Tabs with idle YouTube video in Chrome would fail to reload after a while.
    2. Frequent kernel panics (twice a day on average).
    3. SoundSource audio output would default to External Headphones every time after restart.
    I'm using 12.0.1 (macOS Monterey) on an 2020 5K iMac with eGPU (AMD Radeon RM 580). No new program has been installed after upgrading.
    My questions are:
    1. Is it possible to uninstall Core Audio Driver (ParallelsToolboxAudio.driver)?
    2. Is there an update on the way?

2. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello,

thank you for reporting the issue. Could you please share macOS crash reports? You can find them inside 'Console' application.

Also, to disable ParallelToolboxAudio.driver you have to:
    - remove this bundle: /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/ParallelsToolboxAudio.driver
    - restart macOS

3. mfan2001

mfan2001 Bit poster

Please find in the attachment the reports.

Attached Files:

4. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Your crashes are related to Parallels Access product, not Parallels Toolbox.
    I will inform guys from Parallels Access team about this issue.

5. dmitryv6

dmitryv6 Bit poster

mfan2001 could you pls provide more details about the case?
    Do you connect to the host remotely via PAX and then attempt to activate "Screen Recorder widget"?
    If that's the case you might want to try changing PAX sound options on Dashboard to "Play on remote host".
    Setting this option should deactivate PAX agent attempt to capture sound in parallel with Toolbox sound driver.

6. dmitryv6

dmitryv6 Bit poster

here is the screenshot with details.

Attached Files:

7. mfan2001

mfan2001 Bit poster

I hardly ever use Parallels Access so the crash report wasn't generated while I was trying to connect to a remote computer.
    That being said, both audioloader and prl_deskctl_agent crash constantly in the background. Please see the attachment for the screenshot of Console and the zip file of the latest crash reports.
    sergk was right. It's Parallels Access related.

Attached Files: