AutoCAD 2022 - Random Crashes

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by cabinetlover, Nov 22, 2021.

1. cabinetlover

cabinetlover Bit poster

Hello All!
    I am running AutoCAD 2022 (x86/64) on Windows 11 (build 22504 and 22200) for ARM. So far all seems to be working but I am getting hard crashes. They occur about 2-3 times per day mostly when the program is idle or the graphics system is changed. Going to or from Coherence or modifying the taskbar display will cause a crash.

I am not able to get logs from AutoCAD, but in Event Viewer it shows:
    Faulting application name: acad.exe, version: 30.1.51.0, time stamp: 0x6013cf91
    Faulting module name: mfc140u.dll, version: 14.29.30035.0, time stamp: 0x608dcde1
    Exception code: 0xc000026f
    Fault offset: 0x000000000066784c
    Faulting process id: 0x2ff4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d7de5254240bd0
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2022\acad.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\mfc140u.dll
    Report Id: 6dbee6fd-4a3a-40e3-84f9-f9ec78863fb4
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:​

The exception code identifies that this error is due to an emulation error with Visual Studio libraries. Any ideas?

2. cabinetlover

cabinetlover Bit poster

3. Flinky

Flinky Member

Please keep us updated, we are also interested in buying a new MBP16M1 for using AutoCAD @ Parallels.

Any disadvantages so far, compared to a native machine (except your discribed crashes)?

Thanks!!

4. cabinetlover

cabinetlover Bit poster

So far this setup has been doing great, no disadvantages other than the crashes. I am going to change the emulation settings a bit to see if I can get back to the default settings with the new libraries installed. With Strict Emulation there is a slight lag when doing selection operations, but using "Default" emulation it runs like greased lightning. I engineer cabinets, so my files are not quite the largest, but I would assume that the Mac would have no troubles with larger files to the low latency SSD.

I have Graphics acceleration enabled at this time. Changing that in AutoCAD does not appear to make a difference in crashes.
    The program was left on overnight yesterday and it had not crashed when I resumed my computer from sleep. I'll update this thread as I go.

My workstation:
    Macbook Air 13" 2020
    M1 CPU
    16GB RAM
    256GB SSD

I also run a heavy workload on this machine and the CPU never gets throttled. I hover around 10-15GB of RAM use with multiple programs in Windows and Mac.

5. cabinetlover

cabinetlover Bit poster

Quick Update: No crashes since I updated the C++ Visual Studio Dependencies from Microsoft. Good stuff. I was able to set emulation settings back to default and things are working very fast without any issues.

6. Flinky

Flinky Member

Thank you for your sharing your experience! I am pleased to hear, that AutoCAD on M1 is working good, so far, at this early state.

I don't expect, developement goes worse, so maybe we will enter M1-world in early 2022 :)

Thank you, bye

7. Flinky

Flinky Member

We received our MBP2021 M1Pro ... a real beast :)
    Installed P17.1.1Pro + Win11Pro
    ACAD 2022 works and looks really good!
    .... but ....
    We are using a third party ACAD addon which requires MS SQL Express 2019 ... I can't get it to work, when creating a server, the program crashes. There are several topics about this, but no solution I can handle (I'm no network or database admin ...)

Auf Wiedersehen MBP2021, cu again, after SQL-Express 2019 for ARM or SQL-Express 2021 is released .... :*-(