Cannot use activation key on a new Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TeroT, Apr 8, 2021.

1. TeroT

TeroT Bit poster

Hello,
    Is Parallels support always as unresponsive as it has been now for me? I have this issue with the activation key and of the available support options I have used Facebook Messenger and Twitter but got no response? The next option is this but I think this should be handled by Parallels.
    My problem is this. My old MacBook Pro broke down (the battery started to bloat). I got a new one but I cannot activate Parallels on the new MacBook. I have Pro license and what happens is:
    • I enter my activation key on the new MacBook on the Activate Parallels Desktop window
    • The activation key window seems to accept the activation key, a checkbox appears to the right of the text input. So I click on Activate
    • I get popup:
      This license is already used to activate Parallels Desktop on another Mac. To activate Parallels Desktop on this Mac, it is recommended that you purchase a new license.
      If you choose to activate this license on this Mac, the other copy of Parallels Desktop will be automatically deactivated
    • That seems ok, so I click on "Activate on this Mac"
    • Then I get a popup:
      Unable to perform the operation.
      This license key is associated with another Parallels account. Please sign in using this account and try again
    • And no, the account and the license is correct. I have briefly booted to the old (and about to explode) MacBook to check that the account and license key are correct.
    So, I have the valid license on the old MacBook with my valid Parallels account and there is an option to use the activation key on the new MacBook with the same account but it does not work. Because "the license key is associated with another account." Excuse me, but that is exactly the same account on the old and new MacBook.
    I am now using the trial but it is running out soon and I need the Pro features. Parallels support seems to be sleeping...

2. Hello, we are sorry to hear that you're unhappy with the Support Service and we're here to help.
    Could you provide us with your license key, Parallels Account email address and your purchase order number please?
    Please reply us back via the private message.
    We're looking forward to your reply.

3. YannisM

YannisM Bit poster

I have the same exact problem, can you help please?

4. TeroT

TeroT Bit poster

The solution was quite strange. We have two Pro licenses bought by one person and two persons have used the two registration keys on their own accounts for a long time quite successfully. But now it seems that according to Parallels support that should have never worked. So now I am using the other persons account on my Parallels...

5. Yibo

Yibo Bit poster

I have a problem as well but not quite the same as yours, I've bought license for PD15 and purchased the upgrade to 16, so I can't activate now because it says that I'm using an upgrade key, it tells me to enter the previous versions key, which is supposedly, I think the key of the PD15, so I type that in, it then says my key it not proved or certified by the server......I don't know what to do now...

6. Hi, could you please provide us with your key via the private message?

7. Hi, could you please provide us with your key via the private message?

8. larsc2

larsc2 Bit poster

I've supposedly already had my key reset but it's not working, I'm still unable to activate or register my key, and that's funny cause parallels access shows up as part of my account!

9. SteveM7

SteveM7 Bit poster

I upgraded to a new Mac as well (had a trade in and a 2 exchanges). I know have my dream machine and Parallels says can't activate and must buy a new license. Tried to chat with tech support and it timed out. Emailed issue and now waiting on day 2. Also have an iMac which I have a 2nd subscription for. Unfortunately I have a new computer, an open subscription with no computers running it while be told to buy a new one..... and no support help. Sad... very sad.

10. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, what is the exact error message you are getting while trying to activate Parallels on your new Mac? Thanks, Parallels Team.

11. SteveM7

SteveM7 Bit poster

The error message is:
    This license has reached its activation limit and can no longer be used to activate new product copies
    Through the trade in and exchange process I did a few time machine backup and restores. I now have my final machine, and a purchased License which is not on or active on any machine.

12. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please send your Parallels Desktop for Mac license key in private message so that we can do the needful. Thanks, Parallels Team.

SteveM7 likes this.
  13. SteveM7

SteveM7 Bit poster

I can't find a way to start a private message...

14. SteveM7

SteveM7 Bit poster

I replied with a message on my original support ticket.

15. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, please help us with your support ticket number.

16. rynp

rynp Bit poster

Hi, I have the same problem as TeroT. I need this account ASAP.

Attached Files:

17. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, please click on activate on new Mac. If you still get any other error, please let us know.