Bluetooth game controller issue on macOS Monterey?

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by LuLu from Taiwan, Oct 30, 2021.

1. LuLu from Taiwan

LuLu from Taiwan Bit poster

I updated my iMac from Big Sur to Monterey in 25th Oct.
    My gamepad: DualShock4
    Bluetooth tool: DS4Windows 3.0.18 (latest)
    Windows Version: Windows 10
    Parallels Desktop version: 17.1 (51516) (latest)

Everything worked perfectly on macOS Big Sur.
    When I try to connect DualShock4 on Parallels Desktop 17.1 with macOS Monterey,
    in Windows 10's bluetooth setting, required a PIN code that I never seen.
    Tried "0000" but still failed.
    Is there any solution or update?

MartinB26, GarrettB5 and cLeodnine like this.
  2. JosafatG1

JosafatG1 Bit poster

Same problem. Also if you press the PS button, MacOS launchpad shows up, as if the controller was connected to MacOS but not windows.

MartinB26, GarrettB5 and cLeodnine like this.
  3. cLeodnine

cLeodnine Bit poster

I have this issue too -- I saw somewhere the PIN is 00, and not 0000 like I jumped to, but this still doesn't work. Has this all been resolved yet Parallels? Thanks for any info on this topic.
    Mine worked fine on Big Sur & Catalina, but it's not liking Monterey at all :[

MartinB26 likes this.
  4. LuLu from Taiwan

I bought a bluetooth adapter called "8BitDo Wireless USB Adapter" and finally it resolved this issue.

This adapter is amazing than what I thought about it! It can connect any game controller what you want. There also many reviews on YouTube, just see and try it.

I think I can't wait Apple or Parallels Desktop's update for this issue, just try it and you will find another great solution.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2021
    cLeodnine likes this.
  5. cLeodnine

cLeodnine Bit poster

Hi LuLu,
    I went out today and bought a "TP Link Bluetooth USB adapter", and it works like a charm! I wouldn't have even thought to do this step without your help. Thank you! It isn't perfect, as when I reboot the Mac, I have to unplug the adapter from the iMac so the Keyboard and Mouse don't fail on me. Then I open Parallels and it connects to Windows and works fine.

I hope Parallels can help with this, so I can ditch the adapter and go back to how it was in on Big Sur and Catalina...

Thanks again :)

6. LuLu from Taiwan

Hi, cLeodnine
    Great! Happy to see your reply!
    I also hope Parallels can solve this issue.
    We don't want to play games with a Bluetooth adapter.
    As a back plan, not perfect but it works.
    Let's enjoy games :)

7. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

I can confirm all that has been said here as well. I'm going to get a Bluetooth adapter now ...

8. DanS28

DanS28 Bit poster

Same problem here. Been fighting with it for 2 days now. I wish I saw this post before upgrading. :(

9. LuLu from Taiwan

Hi, DanS28
    Just get a Bluetooth adapter and fix it.
    Don't wait :)

10. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

Don't get me wrong, you are right, but don't forget Parallels can almost be seen as premium software for consumers for that price and the Parallels team had plenty of time to test their features in the beta phase of Monterey. It's not like there is no great fraction of users who like to play games without using BootCamp, testing some most common controllers is to be expected in their quality insurance process, which I doubt to be in existence after all that time. Such delivered quality levels here are rather to expect from open-source projects, not from a yearly paid product. By no means this is acceptable for a "professional" company.

My "love-hate" relationship with them is getting on the edge of what is acceptable. Virtualization is great, but the whole shape of the frame around this product is suffering. Plenty of times their moderators don't even know how to give proper support here and lack knowing their own software or how to troubleshoot. It's ridiculous. If you don't believe me, look up my posts, I replied to a few of their silly and embarrassing answers. One day things might change, but for now I will rant about it.

To be honest, right now they don't deserve the money and they only get it, since there is no competition that does virtualization so well.

11. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

So to sum things up. I'm already paying 100 bucks per year and now I need to pay more, because they are unable to properly test their software for new releases of macOS. This is a big no-go. Everybody buying a bluetooth dongle to bypass this issue should get a partial refund of their latest payment to them, to be honest.

12. MichaelP80

MichaelP80 Bit poster

Dear all, I went out this morning and purchased a tip link Bluetooth adapter, but I'm struggling still, the mac still grabs my nimbus steel series into its Bluetooth connection whenever to turn on the Bluetooth for the controller when I'm in parallels environment. I have everything ticked correctly in the USB/Bluetooth Parallels control panel.

Can someone give me the process by which to get the dongle to work. It seems to be in my device menu in control panel, but it doesn't take over the Bluetooth connection, so my game controller still wont connect. Thanks

13. LuLu from Taiwan

Wow! Thank you for you reply. Obviously You are right!
    Let's see how late they fix this issue.....
    Really hope it can be resolved on next update. :(

14. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

Try the following. Configure the device to be recognized only by Windows (Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Devices). Then remove your controller from macOS Bluetooth menu (remove, not disconnect) and get the Bluetooth adapter to work on your Windows exclusively. You might need to install driver. Maybe it helps to uninstall the device in the Device Manager and reconnect properly. Then try to find it in Windows Bluetooth.

This all is the reason why the Bluetooth dongle works. It's an own device that you can configure to be detected only in Windows on the Parallels settings. Ofc, you have to remove your controller from the macOS Bluetooth settings, so it can connect to the dongle.

15. MichaelP80

MichaelP80 Bit poster

Great, thanks, let me have a go and I'll let you know - thanks so much for your time to respond

16. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

No problem. One more thing. I got my device today as well, but I couldn't install drivers. I also had to right-click > disable this device in the device manager before I could proceed (see attachment).

I can confirm that it works.

Attached Files:

17. DanS28

DanS28 Bit poster

Hey all, just wanted to share; I did this and it worked the first time but on reboot it would not work, and kept throwing a driver error for the new dongle.

I solved it permanently though and you don't even have to turn off the Mac bluetooth if you've already paired your controller with the new bluetooth.

Here's the trick: I realized that the virtual adapter in my Win 10 VM that connects to the Mac bluetooth is called "Microsoft Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth" and can be found under the "bluetooth" menu in the Device Manager. Disable this device then unplug/replug your USB bluetooth dongle. The error will be gone and if you turn off your mac bluetooth and re-pair your controller, once it is paired, you can reactivate your mac bluetooth and everything works properly even after reboot.

18. MichaelP80

MichaelP80 Bit poster

Haven't managed to get it working yet, but only just returned to this thread. I'll definitely try the last message from Dan tomorrow morning.

19. BensonO

BensonO Bit poster

I too am encountering the same issue.
    I am using Parallels 17.1.1 (51537) on the New Macbook Pro M1pro.
    Windows 11 ARM is installed.
    I'm about to pair my old Bluetooth 8Bitdo N30Pro (formerly known as Nes30 Pro) in Mac Bluetooth pairing mode.
    On the Windows side, I click add device, select Bluetooth, after a while Dualshock 4 Wireless Controller appears (so as in the Mac).

I'm able to successfully pair them but when I try to do a test on the control on site like https://devicetests.com/controller-tester & https://gamepad-tester.com The site is about to detect as well as use the controller.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS .. I got a new Xbox Wireless Controller and VM is still unable to pair with the new controller.