Activate Windows 10 ARM on M1 Macbook

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JohnR46, Sep 4, 2021.

1. JohnR46

JohnR46 Bit poster

Hi guys.
    I am running Windows 10 ARM via Parallels on an M1 Macbook. I intend to use it to stream games.
    However, there is an "activate Windows" watermark in the bottom right of the screen.
    My question is: how do I acquire an activation code? Do I have to pay for this experimental version of Windows?
    I have already clicked through to the Microsoft general help pages about activating Windows 10, but it doesn't cover ARM versions.
    I'd appreciate a straight answer on whether Parallels subscribers are expected to go and purchase Windows also :)
    I had assumed Windows would "just work" after subscribing to Parallels.
    Thanks for the help.

2. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I have held off purchasing the Window 11 key (I also have a Window 10 key but it is for the HOME edition, not the PRO edition of Windows which I never needed) till we know whether or now we will be able to keep using Windows for ARM on the Apple ARM chip.
    Anyway, Yes, just because you purchased a Parallels license, you still have to purchase a Windows license if you want to use Windows - as opposed to some of the other operating systems that have no cost.

3. NatoB

NatoB Bit poster

Hey Guys,
    I'm also looking to play games on my M1 Mac Mini. I've run into a couple of speed pumps when trying to install Xbox games through the Microsoft app. 1) Not able to download at all due to errors. Every time I go to the Microsoft Insider Program to download Windows 10 it only provides the option for Windows 11 ... how did you get around this and download the Window 10 ARM?

4. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Hi, since Microsoft has removed the official Windows 10 VHDX installation image from the Windows Insider Preview Downloads web page, we can't provide you with the installation image for Windows 10 on ARM. The apps which require Windows 10 for work are supposed to work in Windows 11 without any issues. So, we advise you to install Windows 11 using the installation image provided on the Insider Preview Downloads page. If you encounter any issues with your apps in Windows 11, please let us know. Thanks.

5. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I had a similar issue - could not download anything from the Xbox app or the Windows Store. But after a recent update - about 2-3 weeks ago (I was on the DEV flight before changing back to the BETA one - sorry don't remember which update) and a restart, I was able through the Windows Store to update the Xbox app and that cleared up my download/install issues - at least for the one game I already had owned that I wanted to test (Hydro Thunder Hurricane). Sorry can't be clearer about what "caused" my update and correction of the Store and Xbox apps.

6. ConnectixSoldOut

ConnectixSoldOut Member

You can download a 10/11 image by googling UUP dump. Select if you want Public/Beta/Dev, choose 10 or 11. Next next next, and you'll get a zip file. Run the .exe (if Windows), or "sh blahblah.sh" on Mac/Linux. Let it do it's thing and it'll build you an Arm 10/11 ISO. Then use that to install on Parallels. (16.x = 10, 17.x = 11). When it comes to activation, turns out any home/pro key from Windows 7/8/10 will work. I've used pictures of ancient OEM copies of Win7 Pro keys I have from my days at an MSP, and it activates.

Is it legal? Probably not, does it work? Yes. Is Microsoft going to go after a single person rocking Parallels using an Arm build they (apparently) don't give an eff about locking down to Surface hardware? No. So, you do you.
    Could you find a 7 key if bored enough surfing eBay listings for "old" laptops... maybe.

7. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

If you start with the Windows 10 can you get a home (not Pro) version? Because I have a legitimate key for home.
    Also any ideas if MS will upgrade it for free to Windows 11 for ARM like they say they will do the Intel version? (We can only hope! )

8. ConnectixSoldOut

ConnectixSoldOut Member

I was able to activate my 11 Pro using a 7 Pro key..so yeah, it'll probably work?

9. VamosE

VamosE Bit poster

Hi. I have a question, I have installed xbox app without any error during installation, but application doesn't work (I have Mac book Pro M1 with 10.0.22478.1012 ver

10. BrokerDon2

BrokerDon2 Junior Member

If I use my legitimate Win10 Pro license key from a previous Parallels Win10 Pro VM for the Win11 Pro Insider Edition ARM running in Parallels on an M1 MacBook Pro M1 Max will Microsoft DE-ACTIVATE my "donor" Parallels Win10 Pro VM ???

I really need to be able to run my Parallels Win10 Pro VM to run TurboTax Business (which is Windows ONLY) for another 6 months (end of U.S. tax season) JUST IN CASE Microsoft discontinues Win11 Pro Insider Edition ARM support

11. BrokerDon2

BrokerDon2 Junior Member

Does Microsoft sell a retail version of Windows 11 Pro ARM that I can install in Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac ?

12. BrokerDon2

BrokerDon2 Junior Member

Does Microsoft sell a retail version of Windows 11 Pro ARM that I can install in Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac running on my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max (ARM) ?

If so do I have to completely reinstall Win11 Pro ARM in Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac ? (big PITA I'd like to avoid)

Alternately could I buy another new Win10 Pro license from a legitimate discount online source like https://softwarediscountusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=329 and simply use that Win10 Pro license code in Windows 11 Pro Insider Edition ARM ?

13. BrokerDon2

BrokerDon2 Junior Member

Does Microsoft sell a retail version of Windows 11 Pro ARM that I can install in Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac running on my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max (ARM) ?

If so do I have to completely reinstall Win11 Pro ARM in Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac ? (big PITA I'd like to avoid)

Alternately could I buy another new Win10 Pro license from a legitimate discount online source like https://softwarediscountusa.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=329 and simply use that Win10 Pro license code in Windows 11 Pro Insider Edition ARM ?

14. AnthonyG9

AnthonyG9 Bit poster

So, just to be clear: if I am unable to upgrade my last Windows 10 ARM build and have to install a new Windows 11 VM then, as along as I deactivate Windows 10 I can activate the Windows 11 vm with the same key? I have seen so much conflicting information on this. Some sources say you can only activate Windows 11 if you're upgrading an existing install of Windows 10, which I had not been able to do for whatever reason. I just got my Win10 Pro key last summer and really do not want to fork out money for a new product key.

15. AnthonyG9

AnthonyG9 Bit poster

Thanks! It is so much more helpful to hear that from someone who actually did it than from someone who "read somewhere that...". I just wish when Parallels writes their KB articles on this subject that they would address the issue of activation given such variables as the OEM or volume licenses, as you point out.

franks39 likes this.
  16. BrokerDon2

BrokerDon2 Junior Member