Mouse cursor is HUGE

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by seand2, Oct 12, 2015.

1. BrianC23

BrianC23 Junior Member

This didn't start happening until after my earlier issues with Parallel Tools.

2. Nick16

Nick16 Bit poster

I am having the same problem with WIndows 10, my Parallels version is
    Version 15.1.4 (47270)
    and macOS Catalina 10.15.5

3. Hi, did you try these steps?

4. TamasD

TamasD Bit poster

I had the same problem, even the smallest mouse pointer setting was 3 times larger than a button, 5 times larger than a piece of text. Rebooting Windows didn't help. Slightly resizing the Parallels window immediate made the cursor normal again.

5. Hi, did you try Parallels Tools reinstallation?

6. ZigaN

ZigaN Bit poster

Hello guys.I solved this by selecting that mouse cursor is followed and it had something to do with the default screen resolution size. However now the mouse is locked to parallels and can not work simultaneously on mac apps, if i do not press command +tab button. Disable the screen resolution sizing by widows default

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  7. TodP

TodP Bit poster

I solved this problem as well by entering and exiting Coherence Mode.
    The whole issue started when I was dragging the window from one external monitor to another.

8. JohnR46

JohnR46 Bit poster

I am having the giant cursor problem whilst scaling on a 4K monitor. The cursor size is set to the smallest possible but it's massive - three times the height of normal text. How does one enter Coherence Mode?

9. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

@Maria@Parallels Can you actually start working on the problem instead of linking to the same articles over and over again? We are no retards, we know how to re-install parallels tools.

Just use Boot Camp as source with the Game Profile preferences on a Retina display. The cursor scales with the DPI on a massive scale. I think to try to fix the mouse scaling, but Windows fixes the mouse scaling by itself using the DPI profile.

Please go figure.

10. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

I think to try you* fix the mouse scaling, but Windows fixes the mouse scaling by itself using the DPI profile.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  11. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

@Maria@Parallels Any update on this? I think giving an option to disable the mouse scaling of Parallels or an option to change the level of scaling of the pointer would be a good alternative, since the setup can be different DPI and resolution wise. For instance, my Bootcamp VM runs in a lower resolution than Retina for performance reasons. This causes the mouse pointer to mess up, just allow me to disable the scaling of the mouse cursor would be acceptable, too.

12. Furmi

Furmi Bit poster

I can confirm that I have same issue. It is related to scaling in Windows. It is in Settings > Display > Scale and Layout > Change the size of text, apps and items. It looks like when we are using this windows scaling, cursor is increased few times. The problem is not with the size, but how sensitive this cursor is. Having retina display require us to use scaling (to see something on big resolution), so it is almost impossible to use normal 100% scaling.
    I hope this can help you a bit.

13. Furmi

Furmi Bit poster

Update - when I clicked right mouse button on Bootcamp app (I think it depends what VM type are you using so apply accordingly your setup) and then on View > Retina resolution > Best for Retina display. After doing so I had to log out on Windows and login again and this helped ;).

14. MartinB26

MartinB26 Member

Yes, of course it works with Retina resolution, because they adjust the mouse cursor for that. However it's a big performance hit when you want to game with it. For that scaled display is way better, you are less likely to see any pixels in fast pace gameplay. Their implementation is flawed in a way that they attempt to fix the cursor when there is no need for a fix in scaled mode.