New Install of Windows 10 Client ARM64 Insider Preview 21354 VHDX silently failing on M1 Big Sur

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by CeallaighM, Jul 10, 2021.

1. CeallaighM

CeallaighM Bit poster

I've just purchased and installed Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac (Standard Edition; Version 16.5.1 (50696)) on my MacBook Pro (13 inch M1 2020; version 11.2.2 (20D80)). I've downloaded Windows 10 Client ARM64 Insider Preview - Build 21354, and am attempting to install it.

From parallels, I go to File -> New to open the "Install on Mac with Apple M1 Chip" window, then click Continue to open the "Create New", then Continue again (with the default Install Windows selected) to open the "Select Installation Image window, then Continue again (with the vhdx file selected) to open the "I will primarily use Windows for" window. I choose either Productivity or Games only and click Continue to open the "Name and Location" window, I leave the name as Windows 10 and use either the default folder (i.e. /Users/MYNAME/Parallels) or a custom folder with permissions opened up (i.e. /private/var/parallels). I either leave checked or unchecked the "Create alias on Mac desktop" and the "Customize settings before installation" options. I click Create.

In all permutations of these options, the "Creating..." window opens, the progress bar gets to exactly 14%, and then the previous window (i.e. "Name and Location") opens up. No error is given, and I don't see where a log might be available for review.

I'm at a loss for how to proceed from here. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

2. CeallaighM

CeallaighM Bit poster

Overnight last night I re-downloaded the VHDX file, and the new one goes up to 5% before failing. The previous one still goes up to 14%. I wondering if there's something wrong with the download process? I'll try downloading yet again today.

3. Lil.Tee

Lil.Tee Bit poster

Same issue.

4. CeallaighM

CeallaighM Bit poster

Aaand success. It appears that the Chrome browser's download manager doesn't properly handle errors and just moves past them. By contrast, the Safari download manager stops on errors, and provides the option to retry from where it left off. Which it did, and which succeeded for me.

5. CeallaighM

CeallaighM Bit poster

To clarify, I tried downloading the VHDX with Chrome several times, and each time the installation variously failed; either refusing to install at all, or attempting to install but erroring out after some percentage complete. When I tried with Safari, an error still occurred during download, but Safari's download management caught the error and reported it during the download, providing an option to recover and continue. I did so, and THAT version of the downloaded file worked a treat.

It's noteworthy that we live quite rurally and have spotty internet, so this is surely a contributing factor to the issue.

6. sl.Liao

sl.Liao Bit poster

I try to find windows 10 client arm64 insider Preview - build 21354 on the network,
    Unfortunately, no download point was found. Could you provide me with the a download address? Thank you