Priniting Quotes (") in parallel dont print correctly

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jbeling, Sep 26, 2007.

1. jbeling

jbeling Bit poster

Im using MS office 2003 in my parallel that runs xp pro. No matter what font I use it will not print a quotation correctly. Its really starting to bug me too. I have my printer, a brother HL-2040 hooked up and it works fine but for some reason a quotation mark will not print correctly. It a variation of an "i" but with an accent on top of the i. Any suggestions?

2. fredcast

fredcast Member

I have the exact same problem. I also find that there are other characters that don't print properly. For instance, if I try to print 1/2, it comes out looking like an omega.

This is a huge problem for me. The only way I can get things to print properly is if I first convert to pdf and then print the pdf file.

FWIW, I am using MS Office 2007, WinXP (SP2) and Parallels 2 (5160).

HELP!

3. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

please, check your keyboard layouts.
    Mac OS X: open Language->Open International window-> Input Menu and find out what layouts you are using.
    Windows XP: open Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Languages->Details->Installed Services, where you can find the layout.

Is everything ok there?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

4. fredcast

fredcast Member

Alicia,

Thanks for your reply. I checked both places and found that Mac OS X and WinXP are both using the US English keyboard layout.

What shall I check next?

Thanks!

David

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

what keyboard do you use? Could you please specify its type, please? And what key do you press for quotes?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

6. fredcast

fredcast Member

I use the built-in keyboard on my MacBook Pro. I hit the shift key and then press the " key. However, this happens whether it is a document created by me or one which has been emailed to me.

On the screen, I see the proper symbol ("), but when it prints, I see the wrong symbol as outlined above.

7. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

do you have your printer connected directly to the VM? Please, try to reconnect it in a following way.

Best regards,
    Alicia.

8. fredcast

fredcast Member

Thanks for the additional idea, however this is the method I have been using to print.

Just to be certain, I deleted my parallel printer from the VM Configuration screen and followed your instructions to the letter. The result was the same (i.e. characters are still printing improperly).

Example: An Em dash on the Windows screen prints as an 'n' with a tilde above it. If I output the file to pdf and then print the pdf file (all from the Windows side of the computer), the dash prints perfectly.

9. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

please try to set up printing in a following way. Will it work?

Best regards,
    Alicia.

10. fredcast

fredcast Member

Alicia,

I tried using the Bonjour printing method you described, but it did not work. In fact, it caused Microsoft Word 2007 to crash whenever I tried to print to the Bonjour printer.

I tried to print from Notepad, but was unable to select the Bonjour printer from the dialog box (I could select any other printer - including Adobe PDF, HP Color LaserJet 8500 PS, etc.).

In addition, when I went to the Printers and Faxes control panel and tried to view the properties for the printer, nothing happened. When I double-clicked the printer to view the print queue, the Printers and Faxes control panel stopped responding. I had to use a ctrl-alt-delete to regain control of the VM.

I do not think this is a worthwhile path. Could this be an incompatibility with fonts between the VM and the Host OS. Have you considered this? Hasn't anyone else reported this problem?

Thanks for all of your continued help.

David

11. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

it seems that the only way to solve this issue is to connect it to the VM directly via USB and install its native drivers.

Best regards,
    Alicia.