Has anyone found Parellels hanging while OneDrive on your mac is updating?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JonasS4, Dec 1, 2021.

1. JonasS4

JonasS4 Bit poster

I have an M1 chip. I'm running the Windows 11 preview. My computer hung a few weeks ago and I had to recreate my windows from scratch. Though I'm a subscriber, and pay yearly, the support option is non-existent. They ignored my facebook email, and I was never given a phone number for support. But I'm sure i'm not the only person who's found that to be true.

So i recreated everything and today it happened again. I noticed that my OneDrive was updating a file and when i stopped that update, the freeze ended immediately. I uninstalled One Drive from my PC and I unchecked sharing my onedrive folders on the PC. but it still would freeze everytime my One Drive updated. Did anyone else see this happen?

(and if anyone else has had ANY Luck with Support please let me know. As a paying customer, i find that repugnant fo them.

2. JonasS4

JonasS4 Bit poster

Hi Michael. That's EXACTLY where it sent me three weeks ago. and the only options are the options on my attached screenshot. They ignored me on Facebook Messenger. But also, in the document with my receipt for my yearly bill, it clearly states phone support which they have NOT given the number at all. What did you use once you got to the support section? Facebook Messenger? or one of the others.

Attached Files:

3. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

I've used Support several times and received good response each time. Please try the link shown above and get the process started.
    On a separate point, I had to Uninstall OneDrive from the App list on the Virtual Machine. It was creating a separate OneDrive folder there and of course I had another instance on my Mac. I think they could co-exist (I already use OneDrive across multiple Macs to keep files in sync), but it is unnecessary in the VM since you can get at the files you need from the shared Mac drives.

4. AppleO

AppleO Junior Member

I don't think I've experienced your specific issue, but I have had similar issues with Onedrive on Mac randomly downloading files (sometimes large files annoyingly) and today it started to happen when I opened Windows Arm in Parallels so all along it could have been Parallels causing the random downloads to happen. I haven't fully tested it (as it doesn't take much searching on Google to find there are a lot of bugs in the current Onedrive app for M1), but in a number of cases it seems to be processes within the Parallels VM which for some reason cause the Onedrive (in Mac) to start downloading.

5. JonasS4

JonasS4 Bit poster

First, though it's not published well, what i finally did is I went back to Cleverbridge, where I bought Parallels. They were able to send me to Parallels. Which is the step that was never made clear.

I spoke twice to Parallels and we finally figured out the issue is that by default, OneDrive has it set to On-Demand, meaning that a file sits in the cloud until it's needed and then it downloads. That whole mechanism is VERY faulty with Parallels, which causes the freeze. Turning off On-Demand solved the problem. I have plenty of HD space to hold all the OneDrive files on my home computer so it was not a terrible change to make. I'm relieved that now i know the process to get phone support and also most importantly, that I was able to solve my issue.

Thanks all three of you for your support.