Parallels and Sleep

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PragmaticPraxis, Aug 22, 2014.

1. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Anyone know how Parallels (9) is supposed to handle sleep mode? I would "expect" that closing the lid while a Parallels VM was active would sleep both the VM and Parallels. However, I am finding that closing the lid with an active VM produces a lot of heat, and since the makeup air for the fan comes from the speaker grills, a closed lid means very little air, which is being heated before going to the fans. Net result, I am nearly certain Parallels is what fried my motherboard recently.
    The workaround seems to be to remember to suspend VMs before closing the lid, but it seems like this is a bug, or at least poor intended behavior. I looked to see if there was a setting for triggering a VM Suspend when the Mac goes to sleep, but I can't find it. If I missed something I would love to hear about it.

Gordon

2. PragmaticPraxis

PragmaticPraxis Bit poster

Can someone maybe verify if PD 10 still behaves this way, since obviously the folks at Parallels are too busy with other things. Just leave a VM running, but NOT actively doing anything. And close the lid for an hour or so. Not over night as if the behavior is still there that could get hot enough to cause damage. It would be nice to nail down if Parallels Desktop is, or is not, burning up motherboards.

Thanks!
    Gordon

MickeyK likes this.
  3. MickeyK

MickeyK Bit poster

I had ever used PD9 + Win7 and suffered the same problem quite a few times, but not every times while I close the lid for my MBP 13" SSD version. Now I am on PD10 and have not met this issue again, that is why "they" urged me very kindly to upgrade (i.e. with some $$$ paid) every week by email notice for more than 3 moths. The new problem is that I got lost my fast recovery capability while MBP was leaving the sleep mode, now I must spend 10 times recovery time period than I was on PD9. Guesstimated is that "someone or PD10" must be mixing up the definitions of sleep mode vis-a-vis suspension mode for SSD users. Be bold, hope I can be awaiting that the PD11 shall fix it ASAP by next year or so then.

4. delilahs

delilahs Bit poster

Could someone please confirm if PD 10 still behaves this way, as the folks at Parallels are obviously too busy with other things? Simply leave a VM running but not actively performing any tasks. And then close the lid for about an hour. Not overnight, because if the behaviour persists, it may become hot enough to cause damage. It would be nice to know whether or not Parallels Desktop is causing motherboards to fail.
    I've discovered that closing the lid with an active VM generates a lot of heat, and since the makeup air for the fan comes from the speaker grills, this adds to the problem.

5. chrisj29

chrisj29 Bit poster

I had previously used PD9 with Win7 and had experienced the same issue on several occasions, but not every time I closed the lid on my MBP 13" SSD version.
    Now that I'm on PD10, I haven't had this problem, which is why "they" kindly urged me to upgrade (i.e. pay some money) every week by email notice for more than three months.
    The new issue is that while MBP was leaving sleep mode, I lost my fast recovery capability, and now I have to spend 10 times the amount of time recovering as I did on PD9.
    For SSD users, it's assumed that "someone or PD10" is mixing up the definitions of sleep mode and suspension mode.
    Be bold, and I'm hoping that by next year or so, the PD11 will have fixed it.

6. chrisj29

chrisj29 Bit poster

Hmm Good