Fedora ARM "dynamic resolution" not working

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Chris79, Dec 14, 2021.

1. Chris79

Chris79 Bit poster

Hi. I've just installed a Fedora 35 and Fedora 34 aarch64 image on my M1 MBP on the latest Parallels 17 (downloaded today), and most things seemed to be working except the dynamic resolution, and the mouse pointer is about 5mm down and left of where it should actually be. Doing some digging into the parallels tools, there's no "prl_vid" driver to install. There's a check for x86 architecture in the dkms.conf, which obviously fails, but even if that check wasn't there, the modules don't exist to build.

Is this an issue, or just a limitation of the M1 version that dynamic resolution doesn't work?

Thanks

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

They removed the prl_vid driver in Parallels Tools. It works with virgl now.
    Unfortunately they haven't regressed it completely from any of the installers, which is why you still see it in dkms.conf. You an manually edit the prl_vid part out of dkms.conf. However, unless they fix the installers, you will have to remember to do it again the next time you do a tools install.
    Incidentally, the dkms warning you get when doing a kernel update is fairly nebulous.

3. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Check that... /etc/dracut.conf.d/parallels-tools.conf is what needs to be edited, per my post in https://forum.parallels.com/threads...4-x-not-included-in-17-1-tools-update.355092/ :

4. Chris79

Chris79 Bit poster

isn't virgl just for 3D? Also realised I should probably have posted this in the "M1" forum. The dkms.conf had checks to check for x86 and the kernel version.

5. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Think they are using virGL for general graphics virtualization, not just 3D, though I understand that's normally what it's used for.
    And yes, there are other cleanups needed for dkms as well as elsewhere that are also in that thread. There are many inconsistencies still in the tools installer, not to mention never cleaning up from previous installs.

6. Chris79

Chris79 Bit poster

In case it helps anyone else, I figured out the issue. I'd installed the KDE spin of Fedora, which used Wayland not X11 by default. Changed to X11 and dynamic resolution started working.