Black borders around Window

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by rbr, Dec 17, 2021.

1. rbr

rbr Bit poster

Hi,
    I am using Parallels Desktop 17 and Windows 10.
    I see black borders around the window. How can I get full screen (don't want to waste space with black borders)?
    Thank you.

Screen Shot.jpg

2. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Have you tried either changing the aspect ratio that Win10 expects to see, or resizing the window so it fits?

3. rbr

rbr Bit poster

In Options --> Full Screen, I tried all the options available for Scale to fit screen. It didn't help.
    Where can I change the aspect ratio?

4. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Think you're confusing terms. There's Full Screen and there's windowed (You were showing a windowed display):

1. Full Screen fills the whole display with the VM, with no windows (small 'w') involved. That's what Parallels' Full Screen and Scale to fit screen menu items are supposed to do. If you're in Full Screen, Win10 should also detect the screen aspect ratio and attempt to fill it. If not, you have to set Windows' own display settings to something like 2880x1800 in Settings->Display->Display Resolution (that's actually from Win11, but there's something similar in Win10).

2. Windowed is what you were showing, not Full Screen. You could have always just resized the height or width of the VM window by dragging the top/bottom or left/right borders in/out (respectively) to make the black borders go away. Or, you can still go into Window's Display Resolution settings as with Full Screen to make it fit it with the correct resolution/aspect ratio.

5. rbr

rbr Bit poster

Thank you for the details.
    When I am in the full screen, Win10 is also stretching and filling the screen. So, it works.
    It is when I am windowed, it is not working. I tried changing the resolution (I actually tried different resolutions) but it didn't work. Manually resizing the window is also not working.
    I also observed that the "Enter Coherence" menu item is grayed out.
    I want to uninstall and reinstall Parallels Desktop but I am not sure if my Windows 10 activation key works with the new installation.

6. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

Yeah, you don't want to do that.

7. MarcelD

MarcelD Bit poster

Hello, I have the same problem. Could you tell me please where you find Options -> Full Screen and Scale to fit screen? Is it Parallels? Windows? Thanks

8. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello MarcelD, please refer to the knowledge base article https://kb.parallels.com/116141 to use the Parallels Desktop in full screen. Thanks