Creating macOS Mojave VM fails

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Brevemike, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Brevemike

Brevemike Bit poster

I am using Parallels Desktop Version 11.2.3 (32663) running on macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6 (18G9323).

So I've reached the point where I *have* to upgrade from OSX Mojave. I also cannot lose access to a variety of 32 bit applications. I've attempted to create a Mojave VM following the instructions here: https://kb.parallels.com/en/124786 "Install macOS Mojave virtual machine with Parallels Desktop"

Unfortunately those don't seem to work. The selection for "Free Systems" is now "Free Appliances" and there is no option to select ANY MacOS. Skipping to the second option - downloading the Mojave install package and selecting "Install Windows or another OS from a DVD or image file" - Parallels attempts to find the install package and fails. Selecting "Locate Manually" and navigating to "Install macOS Mojave.app" results in "Unable to detect operating system".
    Unable to detect.png

Backing out of that, renaming the .app so it appears as a folder, and navigating to the appropriate directory I have three options: AppleDiagnostics.dmg, BaseSystem.dmg, and InstallESD.dmg. The first and third options result in another "Unable to detect operating system". Selecting "BaseSystem.dmg" seems to move the installation forward but ultimately dumps me out to a command line shat says "Shell>".
    Dead Shell Screen Shot.png
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mmika

mmika Pro

AFAIR mac OS Mojave as guest OS supported since Parallels Desktop 14.

3. Brevemike

Brevemike Bit poster

So I possibly need to upgrade from Mojave first, then upgrade Parallels Desktop, then create a new VM? Sheesh.
    The instructions imply I could do it before upgrading, but apparently not. Thanks.

4. mmika

mmika Pro

From my point of view It's better to upgrade Parallels first. Then install VM from Mojave recovery. Then upgrade mac OS.