App icons not showing up in dock or app switcher

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by KevinD5, Nov 4, 2021.

1. KevinD5

KevinD5 Junior Member

I have Parallels 17.1.0. When I start apps in the Windows 10 Guest OS, there's a roughly 50% chance the app icon won't show up in the dock or when I invoke the app switcher with Command-Tab. How do I fix this?

2. LarryL4

LarryL4 Bit poster

Are you saying that sometimes your Windows application icons do not show up on your Mac OS app switcher (and in the dock when launched)? I am having that problem with Quickbooks Desktop for Windows. I keep Quickbooks in my Mac's Dock so while the icon is there, the white dot that is supposed to display below a Dock icon when it is open does not appear. It messes up my workflow and I've taken to keeping Quickbooks in a window that is always visible (even if using a Mac app in the foreground) so that I can just click on it. I prefer things to be maximized (but not "full screen") and to use the Mac OS app switcher. I would appreciate any suggestions to fix this.

Things used to work properly, but something has broken but I cannot tell if the problem started with a Mac OS update, a Windows update, a Parallels update, or a Quickbooks update. That said, I think I have noticed that all of the built-in Windows apps are working properly and that it is the third-party apps like Quickbooks that have this problem.

Kevin, can you isolate which apps have this problem and comment back here? Are you indeed seeing an app ONLY SOMETIMES having the problem or are you experiencing that about half of the apps you use have this problem. The two are very different and could provide a clue leading to solution.

3. LarryL4

LarryL4 Bit poster

Kevin, I had another thought. Are you using multiple monitors? I am. I used to use them in mirrored mode but no longer do. For some reason, switching back to mirror-mode "has solved" this problem. I put that in quotes because I actually had to do several restarts of my Mac the other day for another issue I was trying to fix and am not 100% sure if the monitor mode has anything to do with (fixing) the problem. I did switch back to non-mirrored mode and my issue is now gone. Even though I cannot understand why this would affect things, can you try to switch monitor modes in your Mac's System Preferences? Good luck. I'll repost in my problem crops up again.

4. KevinD5

KevinD5 Junior Member

Hi, Larry. Sorry for the delay; this got lost with the holidays.
    > Are you saying that sometimes your Windows application icons do not show up on your Mac OS app switcher (and in the dock when launched)?
    Yes. It's somewhat random, but Toad for SQL Server is the most frequent culprit. You can see the Windows and Mac docks in the attached image.
    I've just tested QuickBooks Desktop (I have the 2013 version) and it's fine, at least right now. To get around the issue I have to stay out of Coherence mode so that I can access the apps.
    And no, I'm not using multiple monitors.

Attached Files: