Parallels Language Keyboard a Mess, I cannot Convert from Canadian English to Canadian French

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by JoelCYYZ, Dec 24, 2021.

1. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

I have a very real problem which is making my new MBP 16" M1 Max nearly unusable.

I installed Parallels and Windows 11 Enterprise. I need Excel and Word in their Windows flavour as MSFT continues to cripple the macOS versions even in Office 365.

I live in Canada and have my MMP keyboard set to Canadian English.

It works perfectly on the macOS side of this.

It DOES NOT work properly on the Parallels / Windows side of things; specifically:

1. It operates as a Canadian French keyboard; and

2. The usual ALT+SHIFT or CRL+SHIFT commands to toggle between English and French and vice versa are not working; that is the keyboard is stuck in Canadian English.

The asks:

1. Does anyone else have this problem;

2. Does anyone have a solution.

PS. I did try switching my MBP keyboard to US but this change did not carry through to Parallels for some reason; that is, it is stuck on the Canadian English keyboard. I suspect that it has something to do with the keyboard ghosting problem I reported in another thread.

Thanks.

2. RalfM7

RalfM7 Bit poster

You need to replace the Keyboard driver from Parallels in your VM.

Sorry, I am using a German Windows so I do not know the correct English path for the settings.

Try going to Settings -> Time & Language -> Language & Region

Find your Language and click on the 3 dots to modify the language settings. Sroll down to "Keyboards" and add the correct keyboard for your language.

After that, remove the "Parallels" Keyboard and you're done (hopefully) ;)

3. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

@RalfM7 , I thank you for your post.

The solution you propose is unfortunately not possible as the keyboard that I need / want to remove is not appearing at all, that is the nexus of the problem; specifically, I want to delete the Canadian keyboard but cannot because it is not appearing as keyboard under Windows 11!

Working with the Parallels engineers to try to get this fixed.

Thanks.

4. RalfM7

RalfM7 Bit poster

try to remove this one in Windows:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-29 um 15.06.28.png

There seems to be no Canadian English version from Parallels available by now.

Maybe you can select a non Parallels but Windows Keyboard (list shown from the German Windows - I think the English Windows 11 shows you the entry as "English (Canada) Canadian Multilingual Standard Keyboard"):

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-29 um 15.08.52.png

5. JoelCYYZ

JoelCYYZ Member

Appreciate your help.

There seem to be two problems:
    1. No English keyboard; and

2. No way to remove the initial Canadian English keyboard because it does not appear as an added keyboard. Were to add a second keyboard I could use the second keyboard but I could not remove the offending Canadian English keyboard. Why, because Windows 11 for some reason does not display the keyboard that it brings in from macOS.

There is a need to fix this as a whole.

Work around: I changed my macOS keyboard to US and built a new Parallels VM which uses the US Keyboard (so typing works). Windows 11 still does not display the keyboard that it brings in from macOS but at the very least I can type without issue. Worth noting, as a final step I changed my macOD keyboard back to English.

Worth noting: This mess needs to be fixed!