How to transfer TPM encryption password to another Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Alexander13, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Alexander13

Alexander13 Bit poster

From this article
    The VM will NOT start without the corresponding record in the Mac Keychain that contains a password to decrypt the TPM file. It is not quite easy to copy this record to a new Mac, but it is possible. We have prepared detailed instructions on how to do it in this article. ​

But, there is no any info about in that KB. Only:
    Important: it is not recommended to move, copy or clone a virtual machine with enabled TPM. Always have a backup of important information, especially recovery keys. When TPM is enabled, the virtual machine is restricted from running on other Mac computers, and by default, it cannot be started on another computer if copied or moved. ​
    So, how we can transfer TMP password from one MacOS Keychain to another?

2. cyb3rw0lf

cyb3rw0lf Junior Member

I have the same issue, seems like the KB page is broken

3. Alexander13

Alexander13 Bit poster

No answer... So, Win11 backup seems to be totally useless. If I will transfer to another Mac or reinstall my Mac from recovery - I can't use backup. Sad

4. Mark Fine

Mark Fine Pro

I think the trick was to disable and remove the TPM prior to the final backup of the VM in preparation for moving to a new machine.
    After you've moved the backup to the new machine, you re-employ it so it grabs the new TPM info.
    Not to be pedantic, but they mention something along these lines in the instructions of how to initially employ it.

5. Alexander13

Alexander13 Bit poster

So, I see post updated 18th November. I'll try info from KB.