Paste Special (Ctrl + Alt + V) makes the square root sign (√)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CaileyR, May 14, 2018.

1. CaseyP

CaseyP Bit poster

Same issue, has anyone been able to resolve this and make CTRL + Alt + V work for them in Excel through parallels on a Mac? thanks!

2. PhilipP8

PhilipP8 Junior Member

Same issue here. At least, reading this post I now know it's a Parallels issue ... (I'm working on an M1 Mac and thought it was maybe an issue with Win11 Insider Build). Note : in MS Word 365, Ctrl + Alt + V works correctly to display "Paste Special ..."

3. JimJ5

JimJ5 Bit poster

Ran into this issue today. After messing around with some options I was able to resolve it by changing my language preference in Windows VM (actual windows settings not Parallels settings) from American to Canadian English. Being Canadian I often select American language without even thinking and apparently this was causing the issue. Also if this does resolve your issue, make sure you delete the American language preference in the windows VM as it seems to default back to it once you log out / back in. Anyone who is getting this error outside of Canada it's worth taking a look at your language settings and trying a couple different options.

4. PhilipP8

PhilipP8 Junior Member

JimJ5, on my VM's it doesn't seem to be related to that setting. I have 4 separate VM's on my M1 Mac (Win 11 Insider Preview Build), which are set up with respective languages UK English, France French, Germany German and Belgium Dutch. In each case, the US English was removed from the Windows settings.
    I noticed on a French AZERTY keyboard that the Control+Alt+V combination actually doesn't result in the square root symbol but in the diamond symbol. This seems to suggest it's a keyboard mapping issue, as in both cases (AZERTY and QWERTY), the result of the keyboard combination is the symbol mapped to the Apple Option+V.
    So I plugged in an old USB-A wired Windows Keyboard (from manufacturer Trust) I still had lying around and tested that ... same result.
    This all suggests to me (with my limited knowledge of the configuration ins and outs of VM's) that Parallels need to fix this in the Parallels Desktop app ...

5. JoaoR1

JoaoR1 Bit poster

No news about this topic? Same issue here.

6. PhilipP8

PhilipP8 Junior Member

Nope, it's remarkably silent about this ...

7. BenjaminS19

BenjaminS19 Bit poster

Same issue here. Parallels team can you please fix this as it kills the excel experience completely? Tried all the above suggestions as well and nothings seems to work...

8. ThomasR38

ThomasR38 Bit poster

I found a fix here... add paste special to the excel custom ribbon (for me I added it as Alt+5) and then in Parallels > preferences > shortcuts > VM, I added the shortcut: Alt+Cmd+V to Alt+5.

9. PhilipP8

PhilipP8 Junior Member

@ThomasR38, while that fixes the issue for Excel, it only moves the problem. From what I can find, Ctrl+Alt+V is used in app. 70 different Windows apps, the fix you propose will change the results of that key combination in all the other apps as well.

10. Doc2

Doc2 Bit poster

It seems it is a mapping problem. I solved it using kbdEdit to change the layout of the Parallels Keyboard. On the Ctrl+Alt+V there is the charactere "diamond", so I deleted it, updated the new keyboard layout and it worked.
    But there should be a way to do it from Parallels App.