This is Unreal!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by LeroyJ1, Jan 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. LeroyJ1

LeroyJ1 Bit poster

Parallels does realize that almost all upgrades will be from Intel based to M1.

There has to be a way to export a Windows 10 VM, move the image, and simply import on the new system.

I copies the pvm and get the message, but then all I have is the option for Windows 11. HUH!

And also having to jack with the activation keys, I mean the windows 10 is a official version. That cannot simply be transferred over.

SMH.

2. SamS4

SamS4 Hunter

There has never been a promise that a PVM can move from an Intel-based Mac to an M1-based Mac. The new ARM architecture makes this basically infeasible without significant degradation of performance by adding an Intel emulation layer. I was able to setup my PVM on an M1 Mac fairly quickly and it was a simple matter of downloading the apps I want in this environment. A side benefit is that my ARM-based PVM is only 34GB compared to 80GB for the Intel-based machine - less than half the size and the same apps.

3. AlasdairS1

AlasdairS1 Bit poster

This is as a result of Apple moving from x86 to ARM architectures. Parallels really couldn't solve it even if they wanted to. It's a bit like swapping from a diesel to petrol car - yes, you have some of the same parts and yes it might look very similar, but you can't use the same fuel in both and the engines work in different ways, so you can't simply swap parts between the two.

I'm afraid you'll need to start from scratch using Windows 11 (at least that's the easiest way and also best option given ARM support on Windows) and setup your environment again. I use OneDrive, and so other than a few key x86 apps, I didn't have to do much work.

4. BobW11

BobW11 Member

You can't expect that even native migrations from Windows. Data transfer, maybe, but transfering a OS isn't possible from old architecture to new.