Windows 11 VM runs slow

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by PJ1, Dec 17, 2021.

1. PJ1

PJ1 Bit poster

Windows performance in Parallels is sluggish. The internet connection on the VM is slow as well.

2. WillH7

WillH7 Junior Member

You aren't going to get anyone to reach out to help you unless you include more details. Are you running the latest Windows and Parallels? What is your hardware (CPU+memory+HD), and how much resources are you giving your Windows VM? For example, I have the Mac Mini M1 (8 CPUs) with 16 GB ram and 512 GB SSD hard drive. My Windows 11 VM has 4 CPUs and 6 GB of RAM and works perfectly, no delays whatsoever.

3. PJ1

PJ1 Bit poster

Windows 11 and Parallels are up to date. I have a Mac Mini M1 with 8 CPUs 16 GB of ram and 512 GB SSD. My VM has 4 CPUs and 8 GB of ram and is located on an external drive.

4. PJ1

PJ1 Bit poster

Shoot.

5. AndersE1

AndersE1 Bit poster

I'm experiencing the same on Mac HD. Since an Parallells update last month, I can't make custom settings for CPU cores etc. And with the automatic 4 core solution, Windows 11 goes beyond 50% CPU usage even on light loads like opening the settings pane after boot-up. The performance used to be better before.
    That leads me to wonder if Parallels have switched over to using the efficiency cores instead of performance cores on the M1 in newer updates?

沈明明 and RobB11 like this.
  6. sounds

sounds Bit poster

I've seen the same, parallels 17 running under Monterey was unusable ... frequent hangs for a second or two. PC games would be unplayable as the FPS would often drop to single digits for a second or two, then be fine again. However, I'm not entirely sure it's a parallels issue as such, because playing Dirt 4 (from Steam) which runs in MacOS via Rosetta 2 has exactly the same issue. This is on a 2020 macbook air m1, with the 8 GPU cores. Eventually I reverted back to Big Sur (using a USB drive) and all these problems went away. Both Dirt4 under macOS and games running on a Windows 11 VM via parallels are now perfect. So it would appear to be a generic issue with Intel emulation within Monterey to me ... ?

沈明明 likes this.
  7. RobB11

RobB11 Bit poster

I'm experiencing the exact same issues. Performance has been significantly slower after the last parallels update. Hopefully there is a solution for this soon?

8. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello, Please refer to this KB article: https://kb.parallels.com/116263 and check. Thanks, McAllen.

9. RobB11

RobB11 Bit poster

The issue is within the VM, not MacOS. Even having a single browser window open in Windows 11 causes the VM CPU usage to go to 100% and makes it extremely sluggish. With only task manager open, it uses 30%-45% CPU usage. This is also with the automatic 4 core setup.

10. Ronaldv

Ronaldv Bit poster

Same issue here

11. sounds

sounds Bit poster

I've just bought a macbook pro 14" (base model) which runs monterey (macOS 12.1) and both Dirt 4 (via Rosetta) and Windows games (via Parallels) run perfectly, so it would in my case appear to be the combination of a macbook air (8/8 core) and monterey 12.1 where the issue is seen.

12. GuidoC2

GuidoC2 Bit poster

Same thing here ! I have Windows 11 (Insider Pro) on Parallels 17 (configured with 4 processors and 4 GB) on a MacBookPro M1 8GB and CPU gets to 100% all the time.
    UNUSABLE !!!
    I have spent 1 hour and 40 minutes on the phone with Tech Assistance, but their best guess is that there is an incompatibilit between Parallels 17 and Windows 11 (too many resources needed), they will be escalating this ... but no clear solution quickly ...
    Unfortunately no wa to run Windows 10 on Parallels with an M1 machine ...
    DISASTER !!!!!!!!

13. sounds

sounds Bit poster

As stated earlier, I found reverting back to big sur (11.6.2) was the answer on my MacBook Air m1. It's not a windows 11 issue, I tried windows 10 and it was the same. As was a l Mac steam game (dirt 4) that was written for intel cops and therefore running via Rosetta 2 - so not actively using parallels (although it was installed).

MarcoW2 likes this.
  14. MarcoW2

MarcoW2 Junior Member

My MBP 8Core, 32GB had no problem running win10 and win11 in Parallels17. Symptoms of slow and random freezes for a few seconds started immediately after upgrading to Monterey. Haven't found a solution yet..

15. GuidoC2

GuidoC2 Bit poster

UPDATE: I reinstalled everything (Windows 11 VM, MS Office ...) and now it seems to be working fine (still Monterey) ... it took some time ... let's see if it stays this way ... crossing fingers ...

16. MarcoW2

MarcoW2 Junior Member

To nuance that: The mouse hovering etc seems to work most of the time, but the clicking does not. So, not a total freeze..

17. MatthiasE5

MatthiasE5 Hunter

I would appreciate if other users reading here and who are running Monterey could confirm or not confirm that there is a general sluggishness issue with Parallels on M1 / Monterey (as opposed to Big Sur) with 13" MacBook Airs, and specify their RAM.

18. GuidoC2

GuidoC2 Bit poster

Yeah plenty of CPU performance issues (on the Windows VM which runs only MS Outlook !!) with Monterey: MacBookPro M1 8GB, Parallels 17 (configured with 4 processors and 4 GB) and Windows 11 (Insider Pro). Thing is that it's mostly random ... Things have improved by reinstalling the VM.

19. MarcoW2

MarcoW2 Junior Member

This makes me wonder if I should simply uninstall Parallel Tools, reboot en then reinstall it again.. I'll give it a try and report back here.

20. MarcoW2

MarcoW2 Junior Member

So, that did something ! :rolleyes: I've done the following in my Windows 10 on Monterey:
    1. Disconnect the parallels network device
    2. Uninstalled Parallels Tools
    3. Rebooted
    4. Connected back the parallels network device
    5. Installed Parallels Tools
    6. Rebooted
    7. Succes! All is well again.
    Note: A previous reinstallation of parallel tools did not work.

SirCodesALot and mligor like this.