SQL Server Update to Install on Windows for Arm

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by Mundford, May 13, 2021.

1. SaikatD1

SaikatD1 Bit poster

Sir Please help to solve this issue...........

We are unable to install SQL Server 2019 (Express or Standard) in the following scenario:
    - MacBook Pro / 2021 Model
    - Windows 11 Pro (downloaded the ARM based not x86, which is the right version for my Macbook Pro M1)

2. BabaiG

BabaiG Bit poster

Hi.....
    Anyone can help to install SQL Server 2019 (Express or Standard) on MacBook Pro / 2021 Model.
    Please help !!!!!!!!!

3. ArvindA

ArvindA Bit poster

My comments:
    - Create a VHD Disk - same results as you - SQL Server 2019 fails
    - My application will work only on SQL Server 2010 (lower versions will not work for me)
    - Can we all not escalate this to Microsoft (after all, Windows 11 and SQL Server 2019 are both their products)

StephenD8 likes this.
  4. ArvindA

ArvindA Bit poster

I suggest all of us start to write in to Microsoft immediately
    - Windows 11 and SQL Server 2019 are both their products
    - Microsoft should be able to fix this fairly quickly

StephenD8 likes this.
  5. Flinky

Flinky Member

The problem is, there soon may be a fix that makes the SQL-Server run ... but M$ will surely not guarantee, that the servers and databases will run reliable and stable, as long ARM/M1 are not officially supported.

Also the Qualcomm-deal may be a problem, when it comes to official support for M1.

We also needed SQL 2019 Express for a working machine, but we returned the M1 and bought a new MBP2019 i9 ... because an unreliably working-machine is worthless ...

6. ArvindA

ArvindA Bit poster

What a shame! I would really like to use SQL Server 2019 on the M1 Mac and enjoy the speed and 64GB RAM
    - if you have any other tips, would greatly appreciate it

7. asocial-duck

asocial-duck Bit poster

Thank you so much bro. SQL 2014, 32 bit version is working perfectly on my "M1 mac, 2020". 2019 version is still not working.

8. StephenD8

StephenD8 Bit poster

WOW and I mean WOW64. How did you get past the Global Rules check failure for WOW64. Fails for me.

9. ShanilK

ShanilK Bit poster

Thank You Mundford,

Finally it's works for me. ( But SQL Server express 2014 32 bit )

10. ShanilK

ShanilK Bit poster

M1 MacBook Pro-2021 only support SQL server express 2014 32 bit. It will work definitely.

I installed in my brand new MacBook Pro with Windows 11 Arm64. There is no issue in above mentioned sql version.

11. StephenD8

StephenD8 Bit poster

Interesting.. how did you get around the WOW64 rule check
    ---------------------------
    Rule Check Result
    Rule "Edition WOW64 platform" failed.

SQL Server Setup is not supported in WOW64. This setup program can be run only on a 32-bit system.
    OK

12. m.aLiY

m.aLiY Bit poster

From where did you get the windows 10 build 21354? I am unable to find it from https://uupdump.net/. I mean it is listed there but when I execute the script it get following message,
    'Unable to retrieve data from Windows Update servers. Reason: EMPTY_FILELIST'

I really need SQL server 64 bit, 2012 onward. Any help please... :(:(:(.
    @MrTea if have success on that can you please update your parallel version somewhere?

Attached Files:

NMENDES likes this.
  13. m.aLiY

m.aLiY Bit poster

Which version of SQL Server you installed?

14. KeithB10

KeithB10 Bit poster

Please help !!! my account software must use SQL server how did you connect docker (MacOS) from parallels desktop (Windows)? i checked the ip address everything is connect but why it wont connect? Does it need port forwarding? Please do some showcase, i can paid for that

Attached Files:

15. KeithB10

KeithB10 Bit poster

Can please do a guide how to setup? my work account software needed it

16. NMENDES

NMENDES Bit poster

Hello, try with the name of the MacBook Pro, you can see in Preferences|Share. Mine works pretty well this way

KeithB10 likes this.
  17. KeithB10

KeithB10 Bit poster

yes it worked, i use netstat view the internal ip that connect mac and parallels desktop no idea use the macbook pro name also work thanks mate!

DeepakarR likes this.
  18. WillC5

WillC5 Bit poster

hi, how did u do it. i believe i ran into the same issue like you. setting up autocount on parallels.

19. LucaR7

LucaR7 Bit poster

Following this thread every day as I would love to buy a new Mac Studio, but am currently using SQL Server 2017 + Visual Studio 2019 and will wait until it'll be possible to run them on an M1.
    BTW: any news if SQL Server 2022 will be arm-compatible or not?

20. AliP3

AliP3 Bit poster

SQL Server 2022 is not going to support ARM64, based on what I asked from Microsoft SQL Server 2022 guys.