ADDED: Touch ID login in Windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by saf, Oct 17, 2017.

1. LeeH8

LeeH8 Bit poster

A few others have mentioned it already, yes I get if this is just a personal/single use VM then why not just auto login - after all, If you can access the VM then the likelihood is you have access to the rest of the system too.

However some of us use Windows VM's in corporate environments and are joined to a domain, so auto-login is not an option. I agree it would be nice to use the Touch ID sensor to log into Windows 10.

2. DietmarE1

DietmarE1 Bit poster

My company also uses Windows with domain users. Automatic login has been hidden. The password is 14 characters long. TouchID would be very helpful.

3. DietmarE1

DietmarE1 Bit poster

Autologin is not possible due to domain guidelines.

AidenJ likes this.
  4. NiekK1

NiekK1 Bit poster

Touch ID for login Windows would be great, als for use with 1 password is a feature I would appreciate.
    Both of them work in MacOs. I read some arguments like it is difficult to maken with the protection Apple built in Mac OS.
    But surely when you have such a good relation with Apple and doing beta testing for the M1 processor support, this is something small you could fix easily?

Anthony Fahey and WarrenY like this.
  5. hux

hux Bit poster

Agree with this

6. MissyT

MissyT Junior Member

Thanks for this detailed information.

7. AlexL26

AlexL26 Bit poster

Since Parallels desktop 17 already supports TPM2.0, why not passthrough the mac host touch-ID sensor to Windows.

hux and Anthony Fahey like this.
  8. Hossam

Hossam Bit poster

Windows hello will use the Face ID or FingerPrint device in the Laptop to sign the user in, if you can manage to make windows detect the fingerprint ad use it as a hello device, it will be a vey good forward step and make our life easier. Thanks a lot.

9. RonJ1

RonJ1 Bit poster

I also would benefit from Windows Hello support thru the camera shared with the mac. Our windows VM's auto lock screen for their own security and would be nice to have the WinHello login. Apple will be bringing FaceID to the mac soon (so I hear) - that helps at the mac side. Currently running windows 10 & 11 on an M1 Mac Mini.

10. EvanL2

EvanL2 Bit poster

Using auto login or disabling Windows passwords may be convenient, but it is bad advice from any security perspective -- no matter how well your Mac is locked down. This is also a problem for VM's tied to corporate domains with policies in place. Providing actual fingerprint reader support for Windows/VM's is the only proper way to go about it.

11. Andreyasitnikov

Andreyasitnikov Bit poster

Chiming in, Touch ID on Mac doesn't support (AFAIK) direct fingerprint reading. It only supports asking the OS to check the fingerprint, and then the OS tells Parallels whether it matched or not. A potential solution could be:
    1. Emulate a Fingerprint reader attached to VM (the "fake fingerprint reader")
    2. Upon Touch ID "enabling", a RANDOM fingerprint (let's call it the fake fingerprint) is generated and stored somewhere safe, e.g. keychain
    3. When Windows requests authentication, the fake fingerprint reader is asked to scan a fingerprint. When this is received, Parallels asks the OS to verify the fingerprint. If the fingerprint matches, Parallels decrypts the fake fingerprint stored in the keychain and sends it to the VM. It will always be the same.
    4. If it doesn't match (user clicks "use password instead"), fake fingerprint reader sends a different, random fingerprint that doesn't match. It will always be different, therefore it will never match, therefore Windows will prompt for password instead.

12. Krysalisco

Krysalisco Bit poster

Select the Start. button.
    Select Settings > Accounts.
    Click Sign-in options on the left.
    Click Get started.
    Enter your PIN.
    Scan your finger on the fingerprint reader.
    Click Add Another to repeat the process with another finger, or close the program.

13. AdahA

AdahA Bit poster

There are other benefits in having TouchID be shown as a fingerprint reader in Windows, such as integration with third party applications that implement authentication/signing with fingerprint readers.

Anthony Fahey likes this.
  14. hux

hux Bit poster

即使使用外部 USB 指纹设备也可正常工作
    没有理由不支持更好的触摸ID

15. RajDotKapoor

RajDotKapoor Bit poster

So, after all these years, has anyone been able to figure how to get this to work? hello, parallels? knock knock :)

N3 Chaos likes this.
  16. AlbertG2

AlbertG2 Bit poster

Hello Parallels Team,
    Mac has had the biometrics for a couple of years now. I'd like to be able to use the biometrics on Windows as well.

17. N3 Chaos

N3 Chaos Bit poster

As an addendum and reviving this thread for a VERY useful feature, Windows 11 seems to require a passcode to sign in, so would love to see the fingerprint sensor/power button added as a function to allow easy sign-in. Parallels, this should have been a feature that was implemented or at least noted as to why it is impossible when W11 came out.

18. AndyJ5

AndyJ5 Bit poster

Throwing my vote in for this, or something like it. I too use a corporate account in my VM, which means auto-login is disabled. It enforces "Windows Hello" which means I only have the option of PIN since fingerprint and webcam aren't compatible with it. Would love to see some sort of workaround from the Parallels team...even if that was saving my Windows Hello PIN and using it to auto-login for me. The Mac account is authenticated already, so if I'm logged in and able to start the VM I should be authenticated to login to it too!

19. Vincent15

Vincent15 Bit poster

Stuck with the same problem as Andyj5 above and many other people before.
    Any plans to see the Touch ID hardware supported in Parallels so we can log into Windows without having to type the password?
    Seems that the thread has been opened for many months (even years) without substantial feedback provided... :(
    Thanks in advance!

20. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

MatthewR20 likes this.